Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

K

12 Posts

January 26th, 2007 01:00

Inspiron 6000 Multiple Issues

I am working on an Inspiron 6000 that began crashing with blue screens (c000021a; stop:0x0000000A; among others). The warranty expired on 12/31/06.

Hopefully someone out there has experienced a similar problem and save me from buying my second replacement motherboard.

No software or hardware changes were made immediately prior to problem.

Here are the steps I've taken:

I suspected either a corrupt system file or a failing hard drive so I thought I would start by running "chkdsk /r" but couldn't get past the first 10 seconds of 6 different XP and Windows 2000 install disks, all factory burned disks.

Replaced DVD drive with two (2) different working CDRom drives from other machines with the same result. With Windows XP it consistently stops with the error:

"File \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded.
The error code is 7

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

Windows 2000 install disk stops with a different error at about the same point.

I even got a blue screen booting with a BartPE disk after it had fully loaded (only tried it once).

Tried pressing F5 to disable ACPI during install with no luck.

Tried disabling everything non-essential in the bios with no luck.

Booted with the keyboard removed and an external keyboard - no joy.

Booted with an external monitor with no luck.

Ran the built-in Dell diagnostics and everything passed including about 12 hours of the memory tests with the exception of something about the "Real Time Clock 32 bit crystal" (paraphrasing).

Replaced the (2) 256mb DDR2 memory sticks with (1) 512 DDR2 memory stick with the same results.

Replaced the motherboard and every single issue, every single error, at the exact same points remain as if I never even opened the case.

Two different times I reset the bios (once with each motherboard) to the factory defaults and when I tried booting to the hard drive immediately after it would take me to the point of loading the desktop and then crash with the stop:

"stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).The system has been shut down."

Any other time I would boot to the hard disk it would crash before or during the XP logo screen.

The only thing that hasn't been replaced is the processor and the LCD.

Is it possible I got a replacement motherboard with the EXACT same issues?

Is it my processor (nothing on the processor looks obviously swelled or damaged)?

Is God punishing me or is there something obvious I'm missing (yes and maybe?)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin G

4.4K Posts

January 26th, 2007 02:00

have you tried a clean install?

12 Posts

January 26th, 2007 08:00

I can do a reinstall without an optical or floppy drive but how would that resolve (3) different optical drives not working?

12 Posts

January 26th, 2007 11:00

Read my reply to the first reply.

January 26th, 2007 11:00

You could try using a different HD. usually errorcode seven means that you need to replace the HD..

1.4K Posts

January 26th, 2007 19:00

Since you have probably eliminated the RAM, be sure you have flashed the BIOS to at least version A07.  A07 fixes a problem with optical drive recognition.  Keep in mind the factory doesn't install the OS by optical drive.

Good luck!

12 Posts

January 26th, 2007 21:00

The bios is version A09. The optical drives are being recognized just fine. I can install an operating system on my vacuum cleaner if I put my mind to it.

1.4K Posts

Well, then. Problem solved! Are you going with a canister, upright, or shopvac?

12 Posts

The first thing you learn at Dell after you give up your Yak license is how to format and restore. This is a little more involved than that.

Thanks though.

1.4K Posts

January 26th, 2007 22:00

FWIW, I don't work for Dell. You might try restoring from the recovery partition if it still exists. Try reflashing the BIOS again. I have seen bad BIOS flashes, but this is extremely rare.

Try booting a LiveCD (DSL or Ubuntu) and reformatting the hard drive, you may be having bad unmapped sectors in a critical area.

Try moving that 512 memory into the other slot. It's not unheard of for a bad memory slot to mimic a bad stick.

That's all my little pea brain can come up with at the moment.

Good luck!

38 Posts

January 27th, 2007 12:00

"Well, then. Problem solved! Are you going with a canister, upright, or shopvac?"

That made my day :smileyvery-happy:

March 29th, 2007 21:00

Were you ever able to correct this? I'm having the same problem with my Latitude C610. I have reset the Bios and just replaced the HDD with a new onw but same results.

12 Posts

March 29th, 2007 22:00

Yes:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.hardware/browse_thread/thread/67d273c16c1d6fd3/8e63a05990c1cbe1?hl=en#8e63a05990c1cbe1
No Events found!