Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 08-30-2010 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Inspiron 6000 Not Charging, but running on AC Power.

I'm going to try and be as specific as possible, and hope that whoever responds to this takes the time to read it carefully. A few weeks ago I plugged the AC Adapter into my Inspiron 6000 while my computer was already on and the computer gave me a message (from Quickset) that said something like this, "Your AC Adapter is not a Dell 65 Watt AC adapter, and therefore your computer will run slowly and your battery will not charge." Since then, my computer has been running on AC Power, but it has not been charging the battery. When I do a BIOS check, it says that the AC Power Adapter device is 'Unknown'. This is the same power adapter I received with my Dell and it has been working just wonderfully until now. Another fact to take into consideration is that I did a fresh install of Windows XP before this problem took place. The fresh install was the type where I deleted the partition and set up a new one. Also, the AC Adapter has its own LED light which is ON. I reseated the battery, I flashed the BIOS, I tried the AC adapter with no battery and it worked fine, and now, it will run on AC power, but will not charge the batter. Of course, my warranty is expired, and I'm out of luck, unless someone out there has a kind heart and the knowledge to save me from this micro disaster. Thanks for reading. I've noticed lots of power issues on this forum and lots of responses that have to do with the motherboard or whatever. It seems that most people have power problems after having the computer for about a year. I have not yet seen a problem that was exactly like mine, where they were getting a message that the AC adapter will no longer power the computer because it's not a Dell Adapter (even though it IS) -Josh
Replies (53)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

check one check with a different adapter meant for your laptop

check 2  check battery if it holds voltage

check 3  upgrade bios to latest and reset the bios

last optionis that a power surge might he killed the charger ic and it dosent switch over to battery

boxy

http://www.mackwebs.com

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Depending on when your laptop was shipped you may fall under the "Power Adapter Recall" .  You can Google Dell Adapter Recall for more info.

Good luck

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I bought my husband an Ispiron 600m about 4 years ago and it has been working great since then until recently. The laptop wouldn't hold a charge when unplugged, thinking it was the battery I bought a new one that came fully charged and the laptop worked fine until that charge ran out. Now the battery will not charge at all nor will the laptop work when unplugged. I'm considering buying a new adapter but if it comes down to the mother board then, due to the comments in this forum, I will not be doing anymore business with Dell and my husband will get a new macbook for Christmas.
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

somecolour,

Glad to hear that fix worked.  I was not so lucky; new adapter, new battery, same problem.  

I fixed this by buying a macbook pro.  It runs windows and leopard at the same time (with and without a charger attached). Suprisingly, it runs with better stability than a windows only pc.

After dell sent a guy named neil@dell.com to hush up my blog about this problem instead of fixing the problem, I made the decisions to get away.  It has been a great move. 

Good luck. 

Luke

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

So since I'm the one that started this whole thread, I should tell everyone how I resolved my issue.  I bought a new power adapter and a new battery, and now the computer works like it was brand new.  Who woulda thought?  They tell you that you need a new motherboard, and it's the power adapter. 
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

After 1 year of posting on this forum and seeking information from every source imaginable I found a link regarding these power adapters while doing a Google search.  It turns out that my power adapter had been recalled.  There was a third party company handling the replacements but now it has gone back to Dell's customer service.  The phone number I was given is 866-720-5347.  Good luck 
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have the same problem with the exception of purchase time.  I purchase my Ispirion 6000 laptop 2006 and the power cord stoped work I replaced it and that still didn't work.  My warrenty has expired so I called tech support and was told I need to replaced the mother board for $500.  I am very disappointed and will NEVER purchase another dell laptop.  I know too many people who have had the same problem.  It was great while it lasted unfortunately I will loose all my important data
Message Edited by lhudgins on 08-14-2008 10:15 AM
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have the same model (Inspiron 6000), same problem, and have tried different batteries and chargers. No help.
Message Edited by booooooo on 02-23-2008 04:49 PM
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

well I don't have a 6000 but a D610. I have confirmed using another laptop that neither the battery or the power adapter are at fault. Going to see if it might be fixed with a power plug change on the motherboard. Also on this laptop the power adapter shows unknown. Panzer
4 Beryllium

agentmom:

The Dell Adapter Recall Program was a voluntary recall initiated for overheating concerns on adapters sold with certain Dell notebooks. This was a concern with the notebook adapter itself and was not related to any motherboard issues with Inspiron 6000 systems.

If you believe you may be affected by this voluntary recall, please refer to the following link for more information:

Dell Adapter Recall Program

Regards,
Latest Solutions
Top Contributor