Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 29th, 2013 12:00

Inspiron 6000 battery warning

I am getting a "Critical Battery Warning" on boot up at the user account login page. My Battery is fully charged. Does not occur when the A/C adapter is connected.

I've read this can be caused by the "Reserve Battery" being old. Computer is from 2006.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

January 29th, 2013 13:00

Hi Aileron88,

I would suggest you to perform diagnostic on the battery using Dell PC Diagnostics. To download Dell PC Diagnostics click the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/We70YO

Also, you may refer to Dell Article by clicking the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/eJOdmi

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 29th, 2013 13:00

Part Number(s): W9199/ 0W9199 Cmos Battery (Reserve)

support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/

No IDEA WHAT PART NUMBER IS GENERIC.  MIGHT BE CR2032 OR CR2025 OR CR2016 ETC.

Removing the Hinge Cover

CAUTION: Before you perform the following procedures, see the safety instructions in the Product Information Guide.
 NOTICE: To avoid electrostatic discharge, ground yourself by using a wrist grounding strap or by periodically touching an unpainted metal surface (such as the back panel) on the computer.
 NOTICE: To avoid damaging the system board, you must remove the main battery before you begin working inside the computer.
 NOTICE: The hinge cover is fragile and can be damaged if extreme force is used. Be careful when removing the hinge cover.

1. Follow the instructions in "Preparing to Work Inside the Computer."

2. Open the display all the way (180 degrees) so that it lies flat against your work surface.

3. Insert a plastic scribe into the indent to lift the hinge cover on the right side.

4. Ease the hinge cover up, moving from right to left, and remove it from the computer.

Removing the Keyboard

CAUTION: Before you perform the following procedures, see the safety instructions in the Product Information Guide.
 NOTICE: To avoid electrostatic discharge, ground yourself by using a wrist grounding strap or by periodically touching an unpainted metal surface (such as the back panel) on the computer.
 NOTICE: To avoid damaging the system board, you must remove the main battery before you begin working inside the computer.

2. Open the display 180 degrees so that it lies flat against your work surface.

3. Remove the hinge cover. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

4. Remove the two M2.5 x 5-mm screws across the top of the keyboard.

NOTICE: The key caps on the keyboard are fragile, easily dislodged, and time-consuming to replace. Be careful when removing and handling the keyboard.

1. Lift up the keyboard and hold it up and slightly forward to allow access to the keyboard connector.

2. Pull up on the keyboard connector pull-tab to disconnect the keyboard connector from the system board.

Coin-Cell Battery

Dell Inspiron™ 6000 Service Manual

Removing the Coin-Cell Battery

Replacing the Coin-Cell Battery

Removing the Coin-Cell Battery

2. Remove the hinge cover.

3. Remove the keyboard.

4. Remove the tape that secures the coin-cell battery into place.

5. Use your finger or a plastic scribe to pry the battery from the system board.

Dell Inspiron™ 6000 Service Manual

Before You Begin

System Components

Internal Card With Bluetooth® Wireless Technology

Hard Drive

Optical Drive

Memory Module and Modem

Hinge Cover 

Keyboard

Coin-Cell Battery

Mini PCI Card

Display Assembly and Display Latch

Palm Rest

Video Card/Thermal-Cooling Assembly

MCH Heat Sink

Fan

Microprocessor Thermal-Cooling Assembly

Microprocessor Module

System Board

Speakers

Flashing the BIOS 

Pin Assignments for I/O Connectors

17 Posts

February 1st, 2013 10:00

Thank you Manshu S and Speedstep. I ran the diagnostic and the computer passed all tests. I replaced the coin-cell battery (thanks again Speedstep--particularly helpful links) with 2 different C-2032 batteries I had laying around the house. I picked up a new C 2032 this morning and will try it fresh from the package, just to be sure.

I fear the issue is neither the main or secondary, coin-cell batteries though, since the message still shows up with a system "BEEP" at the login screen when I start up without the A/C adapter. It reads "Critical battery: You should change your battery or switch to outlet power immediately to keep from losing your work."

17 Posts

February 1st, 2013 10:00

I will let you know if the fresh CR-2032 makes any difference but I suspect it will not.

17 Posts

February 4th, 2013 08:00

Also, I tried 2 different main batteries (one is only 4 months old) and I still get the warning.

17 Posts

February 4th, 2013 08:00

Fresh CR-2032 did not make any difference. Might I be doing something wrong? Any other thoughts on what the issue may be. Thanks!

No Events found!