Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2009 17:00

Inspiron 6000 battery woes

My Dell battery died (I think) so I bought a generic at the local battery store.  It is not acting right. and is now acting just like the old one did before it died.  At first it took 24 hours to charge.  The first discharge went down too fast to 54% in less than an hour and then jumped to 5%.  I ran it to shutdown and recharged, again another 24 hours, it would not charge at all while operating, only in standby or off.  The second discharge seemed pretty normal and it recharged fairly quickly but only in standby or shutdown.

But now it will not charge at all even though the charge light is on and the battery icon say it is charging.  It has gone from 45% to 44% in half an hour with the ac adapter on the whole time.

Any ideas?

November 4th, 2009 02:00

I think that I have solved my "battery" problem. I cleaned the ac adapter connector and its mate on the laptop and the problems seem to be gone.  Cleaning them is not simple.  I have a contact cleaner called De-Oxit which is pricey but good.  I sprayed that into the connector and then pushed a small piece of plastic scrub material into the connector and moved it about as best I could.

So far, both ac adapters are charging the battery normally.

John

43 Posts

November 4th, 2009 02:00

John, and all other posts...

Great JOB. I figured you would resolve this for you and all othersl

Jeff

4 Posts

November 5th, 2009 05:00

I will definately have to try this! Have talked to a repair guy at the local store who never had had such an experience himself, but was of the opinion that it would most probably be a problem with the pins, either in the laptop or in the plug. The laptop contact is "welded" directly to the motherboard (or ?) and it would not be economically to have it changed/repaired. (Find that a bit strange, as it should be a rather small job to fix it, or?)

Hopefully this will help me too, 'cause the pc should do the job for at least a couple of more years. :emotion-1:

4 Posts

December 15th, 2009 07:00

Didn't help me..... :emotion-6:

Still same problem, and the guy at the computer store said it wouldn't be economically to ask them to clean and "possibly" fix it (without even looking at it....).

No Events found!