Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

December 17th, 2008 17:00

Inspiron 6000 display problems

I have an Inspiron 6000 and the display comes on for a couple of seconds then turns off.  If I close the laptop and open it back up, the screen will come on for a couple of seconds.  I have connected the laptop to a monitor and the cpu is working fine. I ran the diagnostic that it recommends on the support page and got the 3 beeps followed by 1-4-6.  That does not match any of the options on the diagnostic page.  Please help me if you know what my problem is. 

Thank you.

2 Posts

December 18th, 2008 04:00

I've got the same problem.  Help would be appreciated.

7 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 05:00

I have got the same problem.

Pl. help me in this regard.

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 10:00

What GPU you have? nVidia by any chance?

319 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 22:00

First thing I would do is check the ribbon cable to the lcd.

4 Posts

December 27th, 2008 07:00

Hi,

My sister has this problem on her 1501. The backlight goes off after a couple minutes and mostly closing the screen and then re-opening it will cause it to turn back on for a short while. It happens in setup, so it is not an OS or driver issue and I have updated to the latest BOIS. I can hook up an external monitor and that works fine.

I am trying to find out if this is a inverter card problem or something in the labtop screen and is it something I can buy and replace myself?

Ken

1 Message

December 29th, 2008 17:00

The same thing started to happen to me last week with my Inspiron 8600.  I've had the computer for 4 years.  Its nice to know I'm not the only one.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 20:00

I have the same laptop and the same problem.  I ran the diagnostic and got error code:  1000-0333 on the Graphics Test.  I my screen only stays on for about 5 or 6 seconds.  The external monitor works fine.  Hope someone who knows more about this can help.  I am not sure whether to get this repaired or buy a new one.  This computer is less than 3 years old.

Thanks,

Richard

2 Posts

January 4th, 2009 09:00

My LCD won't come on at all and the external monitor works fine.  I get a 3-3-3 when I run diagnosis.  Anyone have any ideas?

2 Posts

January 13th, 2009 08:00

Just to let you know, I took mine to a local computer store.  There are 3 possible failure areas if you are getting the 3-3-3 or 3-3-4.  1.  The inverter is bad, can be replaced for $15 plus labor.  2.  The lamp is bad, can be replaced for $8 plus labor.  3. The monitor is bad, replacement cost $200 plus labor.  Labor is a minimum of $150 and could reach $400.  Labor is most expensive when replacing lamp.  Parts should be replaced in this order.  Estimated cost $500 to $600 dollars.  Best option buy a new machine.

January 14th, 2009 10:00

I have ran into this problem before.  The system for some reason thinks that the lid was closed, so it turns off the backlight.  Replacing the inverter board should resolve your issue.

1 Message

January 26th, 2009 16:00

I replaced the screen and I still have the same problem. What else can I check? The computer works fine with the external monitor.

2 Posts

January 29th, 2009 05:00

When I posted my plea for help on 18/12/08, I had already replaced my laptop but thought if there was any easy or cheap fix to this problem, I would keep my Inspiron 6000 as a spare.  I was getting nowhere so I thought I would dismantle the display out of curiosity as I would be binning the laptop any anyway so it did not matter if I damaged it.

I followed the guidance at in the Dell Service manual http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/sm/index.htm  which was easy to follow.  All you need is a small Philips screwdriver but be careful not to touch the white tape at the top edge of the screen when removing/handling it.

When dismantled, this revealed the part numbers of the LCD Screen and Inverter so I started emailing suppliers to enquire about the availability of parts.  I got no replies – you wonder why they advertise - so I decided to rebuild the laptop and guess what happened.  It started working properly and still is working.

I can only assume that the fault lay in a loose connection or plug.  Give it a try as a last resort.

3 Posts

March 29th, 2009 20:00

I am having same problem as you listed - did you get your problem resovled?  If so, what did you do?

Thanks

Jeannie

3 Posts

March 29th, 2009 20:00

How difficult is it to replace the inverter board or backlight?  Can I do this at home? 

2 Posts

July 1st, 2009 01:00

I have the same problem now on my 4,5 year old Inspiron 6000. Screen flashes on on startup, is pink/red and turns black. Still visible, but not workable. Based on info here and elsewhere, the red/pink colour means backlight, otherwise it's the invertor.

You can get the parts from ebay, rather cheap actually. 10-15$ for a inverter and the same for a backlight (refurbished/from a scrapped 6000). The invertor is rather easy to replace, just some screws and pulling some plastic cover, the backlight is a little bit more tricky but basically not much more difficult, although you have to be very carefull with it as it can break rather easily.

Well, that's based on what I have read and on having opened my 6000 and 9300 several times. Will check back when I have done my replacement myself.

No Events found!