Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2010 12:00

Inspiron 6000 network devices

I am helping a friend with her Inspiron 6000. I had to re-install Windows XP because it would not boot. I then downloaded and installed selected drivers. I am now trying to determine if there is any wireless device in this laptop.

Device Manager indicates a wired network connection of Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller for which I had installed the driver.

It also displays a PCMCIA adapter described as Ricoh R/RL/5c476(II) or compatible card bus controller. I believe that is the bay above the hard drive which is currently vacant.

The BIOS has a section for onboard devices and lists a MiniPCI device with a status of enabled. The BIOS has a section labled Wireless. In that section it shows an item for wireless control of a MiniPCI & Bluetooth controller and a factory setting of ON (or Fn&F2). It also has a section labled Wireless Devices with a factory setting of ON. I don't know if that is evidence of any hardware.

The service tag for this machine is <ADMIN NOTE:Service tag removed per privacy policy> if anyone wants to look at the original configuration.

Can anyone tell me if there is a wireless device in this machine? And if so, what driver do I install or how to turn it on. It appears to me that there is none and my best bet would be to get a PCMCIA based wireless n device. I see one at Amazon for $8.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 13th, 2010 12:00

It doesn't look like the system has wireless.  However, since you've asked about the video (Intel) as well, here is the order in which drivers must be loaded:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=179256

3 Posts

November 15th, 2010 08:00

thanks. I believe that is the order in which I installed the drivers.

No Events found!