Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

December 3rd, 2007 21:00

Inspiron 6000 (reinstalled windows now what?)

Hello, I recently reformatted and re-installed xp because of a terrible virus that i had gotten. I never made a backup cd of the drivers so i have to do it all from scratch. I have searched the forums and found that there seems to be a particular order for installing the drivers, starting with the chip-set. I followed what i though would be correct order for installing the drivers, but under system information: Components: Problem Devices: PCI Modem and Video Controller are listed at problem devices. I now have found on another post that you must install Dell Notebook System Software second BEFORE the other drivers. I did not do that so maybe thats why i am having issues. I am running XP home edition and here are my specs: 1 H5897 ASSEMBLY..., CABLE..., COAXIAL ..., LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY..., 15.4, 6000 1 W4608 LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY..., 15.4WXGA, NO-SPWG, QUANTA DISPLAY INCORPORATED... 1 Y5995 BEZEL..., PLASTIC..., LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY..., 15.4, NOTEBOOK..., 6000 1 5U092 ASSEMBLY..., ADAPTER..., ALTERNATING CURRENT..., 65W, LITEON..., WORLD WIDE... 1 H5639 KEYBOARD..., 87, UNITED STATES..., ENGLAND/ENGLISH..., SINGLE POINTING..., SULLIVAN/TOBAGO... 1 F2951 KIT..., CORD..., FLAT, 3F, D3W/3P, PROPOSITION 65..., UNITED STATES... 1 8267R CONNECTOR..., HEADER..., 2X22, FEMALE..., 2, S, G, 35K, THIRD HEIGHT..., CHIP SET... 1 G5845 HINGE..., COVER..., PLASTIC..., INSPIRON..., 6000 1 J5165 ASSEMBLY..., BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP)..., BOTTOM..., INTEGRATED..., CONEXANT SYSTEMS INC...., 6000 1 R6749 PROCESSOR..., 80536, CELERON M DOTHAN..., 370, 1.5, PLASTIC GRID ARRAY..., C0 2 H5512 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE..., 256, 400, 32X64, 8K, 200, 512 1 F5133 BATTERY..., PRIMARY..., 11.1V, 6C, LITHIUM..., SANYO... 1 F2232 HARD DRIVE..., 60GB, 9.5MM, 4.2K, FUJITSU..., VESTA 40+... 1 G6677 KIT..., SOFTWARE..., COREL OFFICE..., V12, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR...., ENGLAND/ENGLISH... 1 K8631 KIT..., SOFTWARE..., MCAF-SCTY, 6.0, COMPACT DISK DRIVE..., ENGLAND/ENGLISH... 1 H8412 KIT..., SOFTWARE..., OVERPACK..., WXPHSP2, COMPACT DISKETTE W/DOCUMENTATION..., ENGLAND/ENGLISH... 1 N8757 KIT..., DOCUMENTATON ON FLOPPY DISK..., SOFTWARE..., POWERDVD..., 5.3.1012 1 J4781 CARD (CIRCUIT)..., WIRELESS..., MINI PCI CARD..., 1450, BROADCOM CORPORATION... 1 P5307 ASSEMBLY..., COMPACT DISK READ WRITE/DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE COMBO..., 24X, SAMSUNG..., SULLIVAN/TOBAGO... If someone could tell me what drivers to install and if there is a particular order that would be awesome. Also do i need to reformat again? Thanks for your time.

6.4K Posts

December 4th, 2007 01:00

I would think you will be ok if you simply restart beginning with the notebook system software.  After that you need to install the chipset driver, video, network (onboard Ethernet port), sound, modem (if you have one), and then everything else.  If you have the Dell Resource CD you can allow it to autorun and install its application which will search out your devices.  It can make a mistake, but mine usually gets everything ok on my 5160.

If you no longer have the Resource Disk you can still find the drivers by going to the Drivers and Downloads link at the lower left of this page in the Dell Support Tools box.  Choose your computer either by model or service tag number.  You seem to have the info needed to figure out the drivers you need.  The Notebook System Software is under System Utilities.  The list you provided indicates you have a Connexant modem and a 1450 Wireless network card.

There are two video drivers listed; the only one you can use is the Intel Graphics driver for the 915gm chipset.  The ATI driver is for a separate video card that was supplied with the Inspiron 6000 D.  Be sure you select the driver out of the list of Broadcom files.  This is your onboard Ethernet port and two of the three listed are either documentation or utilities.

Any other questions feel free to post back.

Message Edited by JackShack on 12-03-2007 09:22 PM

December 4th, 2007 02:00

So i run the notebook system software BEFORE the chipset then the others? Also is this the driver for my modem? Conexant D110,MDC,1.5,v.92 (R104087.EXE)? Thanks again!

6.4K Posts

December 4th, 2007 02:00

Yep, looks like you found the modem driver.

The notebook system software makes a few tweaks so that the laptop will interface properly with USB devices and a few other things.  Dell thinks it works best if it gets loaded right after the operating system.

Glad I could help.  Good luck!

Message Edited by JackShack on 12-03-2007 10:37 PM

December 4th, 2007 05:00

I reformatted my HD and reinstalled xp + installed: Dell Notebook System Software R120775.EXE Chip Set: R114079.EXE Intel Graphics Video R128346.EXE Network: Dell _Wireless R140747.EXE Audio R99254.EXE Alps GlidePoint/StickPointer R113813.EXE Conexant D110,MDC,1.5,v.92 (modem) R104087.EXE BIOS I6000A09.EXE AND i still get the errors in System Information the devices are: PCI Device and Video Controller, the error codes are "The drivers for this device are not installed" here is a snapshot: http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/5241/hpim2088qo4.jpg Thanks

Message Edited by december2007 on 12-04-2007 01:44 AM

6.4K Posts

December 4th, 2007 16:00

How did you install the video driver?  Was it from the Dell Resource Disk or the web page?  When you executed the driver installation program did you get an error with the installation?

December 4th, 2007 18:00

I do not have a Dell Resource Disk or any type of backup disk with drivers. I downloaded the video driver (Intel Graphics Video R128346.EXE) from dells web page. I was given no error messages when i executed the driver installation program. Any ideas?

6.4K Posts

December 4th, 2007 19:00

I read your System Info display, but the one I would really like to see is the listing in Device Manager.  If the driver is truly not installed you should have an unknown VGA compatible device, possibly listed under Display Adapters, but could be in its own folder in the main directory.  Would it be possible to get a screen shot of that?

December 4th, 2007 20:00

Ok, here are some snap shots Device Manager: http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/4122/copyofhpim2091001dj9.jpg Video Controller Properties: http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/5470/copyofhpim2094001pn1.jpg PCI Device Properties: http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1384/copyofhpim2095001zt4.jpg EDIT(just a random question, but do you know why my text is all jumbled up like this?)

Message Edited by december2007 on 12-04-2007 04:09 PM

6.4K Posts

December 4th, 2007 22:00

It appears that you have a graphics adapter installed already.  Does your video look normal?  Resolution ok?  If so, go to Device Manager and remove the VGA Controller in the Other Devices folder.  Restart the machine and see if it comes back.

The PCI Device is usually either a modem or card reader.  You installed the modem driver so you might be able to remove this as well.

Did you write this post in HTML?  If you choose Edit as HTML on the menu in the lower right of the text box, and you don't check the box labeled to treat returns as HTML breaks, funny things can happen.

December 5th, 2007 00:00

My video seems normal. After installing some windows updates the PCI Device went away. I removed the VGA Controller in the Other Devices folder.The only thing was when i restarted my computer windows stated "found new hardware" and installed (Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family) Now under device manager it has two of the same display adapters installed. I tried to remove one of them and it ends up re-installing it on startup. Should i delete both of them and then restart? By the way, thanks for toALL your help! Also is there a way to create a backup disk of my drivers, so if i ever reinstall windows i won't have to individually download them?

Message Edited by december2007 on 12-04-2007 08:30 PM

6.4K Posts

December 5th, 2007 01:00

With regard to the dual video controllers, you can try removing both to see if Windows will just put one back.  The way it got there in the first place is that when Windows is installed it finds the best internal driver it can manage for the video controller.  For most this is the standard VGA controller, so when you follow that up with the actual driver for the video adapter it frequently gets installed but does not remove the VGA driver Windows put there ahead of it.

I'm afraid I'm not so certain about the PCI device.  I am happy that it was resolved, though.

I'm afraid there is no substitute for downloading the drivers from Dell one at a time.  What I would do is save each to its own folder on your hard drive then transfer the whole kit and kaboodle to a CD.  If you should need to do this again you can do it from that CD instead of having to get on-line.

You're very welcome; speaking for myself I came here to learn and when I can I try to return the generosity shown me by my predecessors to others on the forum.

Good luck to you!

6.4K Posts

December 5th, 2007 02:00

I don't think it will cause a problem.  From a Windows point of view it appears you have two video adapters and it will send the same info to both.  If it does seem to be a problem at some point, and removing and allowing the adapter to reinstall worries you, you can always go to one of them and use the properties box to tell Windows "Do Not Use This Device - Disable".

December 5th, 2007 02:00

I really appreciate your comments, and your quick responses. I think i will leave both video drivers there for now, unless it will possibly cause a problem later? I am about to burn the files like you said. You helped me out, thanks for spreading the knowledge!

December 5th, 2007 03:00

I deleted the adapters, they both still came back... I disabled one of them, then deleted, still came back... Now i just disabled the one and everything seems to be working great. I think i will just leave it at that. Thanks for all the advice!!

6.4K Posts

December 5th, 2007 04:00

I haven't seen it with video adapters, but I know of a certain Creative Soundblaster card that looked like two devices depending on what you were doing with it.  It would be funny if the card needed two device numbers to do everything it is supposed to do.  If you should discover that someday all you should need to do is go back and tell Windows to start using the one you disabled!

Again, you're very welcome.

No Events found!