Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

June 18th, 2007 19:00

Inspiron 6400 F8 toggle for CRT/LCD not working

Anyone any idea why the F8 hotkey for toggling CRT/LCD would stop working?

Recently upgraded Bios (to A14) and Video driver for ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 (to version 8.261) but not sure if that is the cause.

Any ideas\suggestions ?

June 30th, 2007 00:00

I think you need to install dell quickset to have access to the f8 short cut, new bios a15 is posted as well and i think there is a new video driver.Be aware that there is a known problem with extending you desktop with the x1300 and x1400 video card, ATI and dell are aware of problem but no fix is expected. It causes a flicker between the monitors when running as an extended desktop. Looks kinda of like a resolution change occurring but extremely quick so almost not noticeable, I did say almost, it seems to occur because of a power issue. You can use your external or your laptop monitor, but not together as extended, not sure if applies to a cloned screened. Just be aware that the problem exist. I had my video card changed 3 times, motherboard changed 2 times and new memory changed out, They where going to replace my LCD screened, but I told them no I needed another resolution. then dell blamed external monitor the cables then they blamed setting. Finally got system exchanged, same problem existed with new system, after 2 or 3 days on the phone with dell and 8 to 10 different people and tranfered from one problem(department) to another someone finally admitted that it was a video card issue, he gave me internal document number and that everyone was aware but no fix was due. Dell finally admitted to problem and agreed to send out a new system but an upgrade to a 9400 from my current e1505/6400, from my understanding it comes with a nvidia card not ATI, I think that they are switching over to AMD processors and nvidia video cards. I just read an article today about Intel processor issues and I think dell has been aware for some time now. Check out the latest offering from dell and you'll see, I think I did come across machines being sold with the ATI video card, so not sure if dell is just trying to get rid of them because they have a glut of them. I think some time in the future they will make the switch over to nvidia. Pressure you tech support guy to address the issue for you if it exist. I was hung up on several occassions and even transferred to different departments I was just persistant and hopefully they will resolved the issue. One quick note I did get to customer care and almost without telling them my problem they were prepared to offer me a $200 voucher towards the price of a new video card, of course any price difference would have to be paid by me.I refused. finally called back tech support and presented them with my inside info and they buckled quite quickly and offered me the upgraded machine, time will tell if it resolves problem. This will be my fourth exchange of system and my second upgrade of system. I am just so feed up with dell. If there is a problem with Dell machines just pull them, don't keep selling them to customers. Fix the problem. Or at least give people options. don't keep customer running around like they are crazy and blaming the issues on other things when you know this problem exist. sorry about the vent but everyone should know about this problem and everyone should keep posting to let everyone else know.

3 Posts

October 29th, 2008 12:00

I was using the Fn + F8 and all my applications had a zoomed in font.  I contacted Dell and they suggested using the ATI utility to switch displays.  In looking at the ATI utilities and shortcuts, it does not have support for this key combination, so I cannot set it up.  On another model I have, I can set up the combination.

Based on this information, I would avoid using the shortcut keys to switch displays.  I use the profiles setting in the Advanced ATI setup to switch between common configurations.

PS: I have the problem of the extended screen as well and have  a technician coming to replace the motherboard and video.  I am glad I am not the only one.

No Events found!