Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2010 09:00

Inspiron 6400 won't boot

The last time it was on for a second, it made it to the Windows screen, and the bar stopped moving.  I had to force it to shut down, and it hasn't come on since.  The middle LED next to the on button flashes maybe 7 times, then nothing.

I had been having problems for a few months now with videos, and it was running pretty slowly.

Anyone recognize that LED error code?  Would taking the whole thing apart and cleaning it help, maybe....?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 6th, 2010 09:00

It is a memory error - first thing to try is reseating (remove and reinstall) both modules.  If that does nothing, try each module in turn in both sockets until you isolate the faulty module or faulty socket.

August 12th, 2010 07:00

This worked!  Thanks so much.  Hopefully it stays fixed.........

August 12th, 2010 09:00

I have a very similar problem with Inspiron 1520. The computer did get hot before this occurred. Tried getting new power cord because old one was not correct one. Tried booting up without battery & did not work. After pushing on button, lights blink for a few moments then there is a soft high pitched beep and everything turns back off. Screen never comes up. If this is a module problem, where are they and how do I access them.

thanks

August 12th, 2010 10:00

I push power button, Blue "A" light in little suitcase icon flashes, as well as blue power icon to right of keboard, for about 5-7 seconds, then turns off after a soft high pitched beep. I have a very similar problem with Inspiron 1520. The computer did get hot before this occurred. Tried getting new power cord because old one was not correct one. Tried booting up without battery & did not work.  Screen never comes up. If this is a module problem, where are they and how do I access them?

thanks

No Events found!