Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 5th, 2015 20:00

Inspiron 7347 serious touchpad problems

I have had my Inspiron 7347 for a few days.  When operating on the battery, the touchpad exhibits some quirks that make this P:C extremely hard to use as a portable laptop.

The mouse on the touchpad hangs up intermittently, sometimes for several seconds.  This erratic behavior makes using the mouse terribly difficult.

When scrolling using the mouse on a vertical scroll bar, the right click menu for the desktop keeps popping up.  I must move the mouse away from the scroll bar, left click to get rid of the right click menu, and return the mouse to the scroll bar.  Sometimes this behavior is constant when scrolling through a long page, making it impossible to use the mouse to scroll.

I have searched this forum for answers, but what I find is other users complaining about the same problems going back months.  Here is one of the threads, started on 11/9/2014, almost two months ago:

en.community.dell.com/.../19606250

I find it hard to understand how Dell can sell and ship PCs with a well known set of very serious touchpad problems.  My guess is that a new driver is needed - NOW!

Any answers???  Thanks.

36 Posts

January 13th, 2015 17:00

The touchpad on my Inspiron 7347 has been replaced under warranty.  A tech came to my home and swapped the touchpad for a new one.  Most of the problems I was having are now resolved.  It was not a software/driver issue in my case, but instead a defective touchpad. The frequent hesitation in mouse movement and the freezing are gone.  The mouse now behaves pretty much as expected.

One "trick" I discovered - since the mouse moves when clicking, I keep my right hand finger on the mouse pad and click with my left hand.  Using two fingers tends to keep the mouse stable while clicking.  I think the basic design of the clicking mechanism is simply bad.  One of the chat techs agreed with me.  The two finger trick makes it workable.

1 Message

March 20th, 2015 05:00

wrhardy,

Some of the symptoms you described are very similar to what I continue to experience.  I get unpredictable hesitations in moving the mouse.  At times the mouse is frozen - tapping the touch screen sometimes makes it start to work again.  When I scroll vertically with the mouse, I get a right click menu instead of a scroll.  I think this could be a driver issue, but I'm willing to go along with the path Dell wants to take, and replace the touchpad. If you have not reported the problems you are having, I encourage to contact Dell Technical Support.  The chat has been working well for me.  The chat team has been concerned and responsive.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 5th, 2015 21:00

Hi Daviddubya,

I would suggest you to update the touchpad drivers on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below and click on ‘Get drivers and downloads’ then download the touchpad driver from ‘Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices’ section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, I would advise you to download and install the ‘TouchFreeze’ software from the link below and check for issue resolution.

http://bit.ly/oS0Hd

Please let me know if this helps.

January 6th, 2015 04:00

There is no 'Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices' section for this product. The only drivers for this are the default mouse drivers provided by Windows 8.1

I bought this laptop last year to use as a laptop (I have a Dell desktop too). I cannot use the trackpad as the cursor jumps around. I want to disable the tapping action as right now this laptop is not fit for purpose. The TouchFreeze software will not fix the lack of a trackpad driver.

I have looked at many of the other laptops Dell has release mid-end of last year and they too do not have a trackpad driver either.

Dell: Your customers have been asking for months for a driver for the trackpad and one still has not been made available.

January 6th, 2015 07:00

I have the solution.

Go to Gestures (right hand swipe on touchscreen) > PC and devices > Mouse and touchpad

At the bottom of section called Touchpad There is a dropdown box and you can turn off taps here (Turn off taps).

You can still use the left and right click buttons on the touchpad but no longer have the pointer hoping all over the screen accidentally thinking you have tapped.

EDIT: Daviddubya - sorry I just saw your post about disabling the taps.

36 Posts

Ravi - As Matt said above, there are no drivers from Dell for the Inspiron 7347 touchpad.  That's the problem!  Please elevate this issue to a manager in the Dell organization that can provide a fix.  I am on the verge of packing this PC back into the box it came in and returning it to Dell.  I have purchased Dell PCs for many years, and this issue must be addressed and resolved to keep me as a loyal Dell user.  Thanks.

Matt - You can disable tapping by using the mouse options accessible through the Modern (8.1) Start screen.  Search for mouse and go to the Mouse and Touchpad Settings to disable tapping.

I agree David. The 'solution' I used just disables the problem and doesn't fix it.

I have spent over 1.5 hours on the phone a Dell representative earlier today. I was initially told that is the way 7347 works and that I would have to upgrade to another Dell laptop. I pointed out that it is not just an issue on the Inspiron 13 7000 but also on other Inspiron's released Mid 2014 onwards. I was told I could have a refund but that is not the point. I just want a working product.

I asked to submit a customer request for a driver and set of Utilities for the touchpad as not being able to adjust settings is just illogical. Dell have a fantastic product here. It's lightweight flexible for all types of use, well built. It is such a shame they let themselves down with just a touchpad driver missing.

Please Dell can you sort this out. After all it is just the Synaptic driver that needs modifying - it isn't like you have to write a new driver from the ground upwards.

36 Posts

Matt - I have had tapping turned off since the first timed I used the 7347.  The mouse still behave erratically.  This is not a solution to the issue.

Ravi - regarding TouchFreeze - I want to use the touchpad, not turn it off!!!  Let's elevate this discussion to management folks who will address and solve it.  Thanks.

36 Posts

January 7th, 2015 07:00

I had an online chat with Dell Support yesterday.  Support suggested updating BIOS and the Chipset drivers.  I did that and the touchpad  mouse remained unpredictable.  In a second chat session, Support decided the problem is a hardware issue, and I am expecting to hear from Dell soon about having a new touchpad installed.  I'll report back here after the touchpad is replaced.

I have noticed the touchpad operates normally when the PC is plugged in, charging the battery, or when using the touchpad on battery for a while after the battery has charged overnight.  Right now, for example, I have am using the touchpad on a fully charged battery, and the touchpad has been working normally for over 1/2 hour.

7 Posts

January 7th, 2015 20:00

I'm also having trouble with the trackpad on my 7347, though my problems sound like they're somewhat different than the ones described here. Mine just becomes completely unresponsive after a while. There's no predicting how long it'll work, sometimes it's 30 minutes, sometimes it's 2 minutes. If I put the PC into sleep mode and wake it up, the mouse will be working again. Same thing if I just flip the screen around (so that the keyboard turns off) and then flip it back. The other frustrating thing is that none of the touchpad settings I change seem to take effect. I've turned off taps and set the touchpad to be disabled when another mouse is connected, but taps are still active and the touchpad does not deactivate when I have a bluetooth mouse connected. I'm not tech-savvy enough to say for sure, but it seems like a driver issue more so than a hardware issue.

Unrelated, but for what it's worth, one of my speakers is out as well. I'm thinking that I'll probably be sending the machine in for repairs soon, which is very annoying for a brand new computer.

36 Posts

January 7th, 2015 21:00

wrhardy - Some of the symptoms you described are very similar to what I continue to experience.  I get unpredictable hesitations in moving the mouse.  At times the mouse is frozen - tapping the touch screen sometimes makes it start to work again.  When I scroll vertically with the mouse, I get a right click menu instead of a scroll.  I think this could be a driver issue, but I'm willing to go along with the path Dell wants to take, and replace the touchpad.  Time will tell.

If you have not reported the problems you are having, I encourage to contact Dell Technical Support.  The chat has been working well for me.  The chat team has been concerned and responsive.

36 Posts

January 11th, 2015 20:00

An update to my posts of several days ago.  I have not heard from Dell about replacing the touchpad, as was promised in my last chat session.  I continue to experience the same issues.  The touchpad is beyond frustrating to use.  I will be on the Dell chat tomorrow to try to move this process along.  As I understand the policy, I have 21 days to return this PC to Dell for a replacement or refun d.  I really like the size and performance, except for the touchpad.  I have less than 2 weeks left in the 21 day return period.  Wish me luck.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 12th, 2015 08:00

Hi Daviddubya,

As I see that system is still new. I would suggest you to restore the system to factory state by following the steps below. Switch ON the system and switch OFF the system 3 to 4 times when the Dell logo appears. This will make the system to go into ‘Windows 8 Advanced Startup Options’ screen. Please select Troubleshoot option and RESET option will completely reinstall the operating system on the computer but you will loss all data and you will need to reinstall the drivers.

Note: You may loss all of the data for performing above steps backup all data from the system before proceeding with steps

36 Posts

January 12th, 2015 10:00

Ravi - Doing a Reset is not a reasonable path to resolve this problem.  I now have an appointment with a Dell tech to replace the touchpad.  I will report back here after the work is done.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 14th, 2015 03:00

Hi Daviddubya,

It’s good that issue is fixed after replacing it. I will take this to two finger trick and report it to the concerned team has a feedback.

No Events found!