Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2017 09:00

Inspiron 7378 screen won't turn on suddenly, flickering orange and white light

External display will not work either. I've held D while booting, and the LCD screen works. The laptop seems to boot fine, besides the screen. This just started this morning. Help me, because noe I own an $800 paperweight.

Oh, I've also tried unplugging the RAM, no dice.

• 

17K Posts

May 30th, 2017 06:00

Duckboystump,

Below are the LED Diagnostic indicators and what they represent.

Front Battery LED - Battery power management indicator.

LED behavior

Description

Alternately blinking amber light and white light An unauthenticated or unsupported non-Dell AC adapter or battery is attached to your laptop

Constantly blinking amber light Battery below specified Low Battery level

Light off Battery in full charge mode with AC adapter present

White light on Battery in charge mode with AC adapter present

A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE:
The Battery LED also acts as the hard-drive activity light. Press Fn+H to toggle between the battery and hard-drive activity light function.

Diagnostic LED

This platform relies on the Battery LED light blinking in an amber/white pattern to determine failure listed in the following table.

Front Battery LED - Battery power management indicator; it also serves as a diagnostic LED indicator when system fails to complete the POST.

A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE:

The blinking patterns will consist of a set of 2 numbers (representing First Group: Amber blinks, Second Group: White blinks).

First Group: The LED blinks 1 to 9 times followed by a brief pause with LED off at an interval of 1.5 seconds. This is in Amber color.

Second Group: The LED blinks 1 to 9 times, that would then be followed by a longer pause before the next cycle starts again at an interval of 1.5 seconds. This is in White color.

Example: No Memory detected (2,3). Battery LED blinks two times in Amber followed by a pause, and then blinks 3 times in White. The Battery LED will pause for 3 seconds before the next cycle repeats itself again.

Amber/White Blinking Pattern

Problem Description

Suggested Resolution

2,1 CPU CPU failure
2,2 Motherboard:BIOS ROM Motherboard, covers BIOS corruption or ROM error
2,3 Memory No memory/RAM detected
2,4 Memory Memory/RAM failure
2,5 Memory Invalid memory installed
2,6 Motherboard: Chipset Motherboard / Chipset error
2,7 LCD Replace the system board
3,1 RTC Power Failure CMOS battery failure
3,2 PCI/Video PCI or video card/chip failure