Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2013 10:00

Inspiron 7520 (15R SE) Windows 8.1 update- AMD Catalyst Control Center driver malfunction

Hey all, first time poster here, joined the forum to post this.

I have seen many difficulties people have had with the Inspiron 7520's switchable graphics card and driver malfunctions behind those problems. Many of these problems have gone unresolved on forums, and people overall have been very frustrated that Dell would sell a computer that does not allow the user to utilize the built in 2GB AMD 7730M dedicated graphics card. 

I have fortunately not been plagued with these problems...until now. I did an update from Windows 8 (native OS my computer came with) to Windows 8.1, and immediately have experienced problems, namely that the Windows 8 drivers for AMD and Intel graphics are not supported by DirectX 11.2. I did not think this was a problem initially, as Windows update fixed the Intel drivers, but have experienced continued problems with the Catalyst Control Center. This is the third day since I installed Windows 8.1 and I have yet to find a solution.

Problem: After updating all drivers to Inspiron 7520 Windows 8.1 drivers from this website http://ftp.dell.com/published/Pages/inspiron-15r-se-7520.html#TopSolutions, which contains all the supposedly right drivers for my computer running 8.1, I continue to have trouble. CCC opens as it should, the interface is flawless etc etc except for setting programs to  "High Performance" does NOT allow the program to utilize the AMD card. There is no difference in performance between "Power Saving" and "High Performance" settings when changed in the CCC. Games run at terribly low FPS, as does any other graphic intensive program.

What I've Tried: Other than refreshing my PC to Windows 8 (and losing half my apps in the process), I have tried nearly everything. 

- Uninstalling all display drivers and allowing them to update through Device Manager. (no difference)

- Uninstalling all drivers and reinstalling them from the Drivers and Utilities CD that came with my PC.  (Direct 3D cannot initialize due to older CCC not being supported by DirectX 11.2)

- Uninstalling all drivers and installing new drivers from the linked site above. (everything APPEARS to work, but CCC settings still do not allow programs to utilize dedicated graphics). 

- Uninstalling drivers and reinstalling from http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-15r-se-7520?driverId=HWM8D&osCode=W764&fileId=3176127380&languageCode=en&categoryId=VI&dgc=SM&cid=269844&lid=4962757 for INTEL

and http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-15r-se-7520?driverId=RH19N&osCode=W864&fileId=3080387755 for AMD card. 

(Intel drivers informed me I did not meet the system requirements for install, AMD drivers could not initialize Direct3D= Windows 8.1 compatibility problem).

So now, the only options left to me are to refresh my PC back to Windows 8.0 where everything was working perfectly, thereby losing half my programs OR Dell will come out with a custom driver for the Inspiron 7520 that works with Windows 8.1.

IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING THE SAME DIFFICULTY AS I AM PLEASE POST/REPLY/DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO GET THIS TOPIC ESCALATED. UNTIL THEN, A SIMPLE DRIVER MALFUNCTION IS SEVERELY LIMITING HARDWARE THAT WE PAID GOOD MONEY FOR AND CANNOT USE. 

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 17:00

I have a DELL Inspiron 15R SE 7520 which came with windows 8. On monday i upgraded windows to 8.1 and since then im having problems with the AMD 7730M video card. The intel HD4000 driver was automatically updated by Windows update so i just got the new driver for AMD provided by dell in their support page (Video_AMD_W8.1_A00_Setup-9NNDW_ZPE.exe).

Im able to run CCC normally and assign different performances for each program but im having issues when i run games like diablo 3  or starcraft2, its unplayable. Before the windows 8.1 upgrade both games ran perfectly. On CCC Diablo3 is assigned "high performance", the game is really slow like if it was on a very low FPS and when i assign "power saving" the game improves a little bit, but still unplayable.

So right now im moving back to windows 8.0, as it seems to be the only solution for this problem.  

1.5K Posts

October 24th, 2013 00:00

Hi guilhermem,

I would suggest you to completely uninstall and reinstall both the graphics drivers. Please follow the steps below:

•  Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen.
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’.
  • Click > sign next to ‘Display Adapters’.
  • Right click the entry listed under ‘Display Adapters’ and click ‘uninstall’.

However, you need to follow the correct order (reinstall Intel drivers first followed by AMD drivers) as the system is working on ‘Switchable Graphics Technology’. You may refer to the links:

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further questions.

1.5K Posts

October 24th, 2013 00:00

Hi jfwilliams92,

I regret for the inconvenience caused. The latest drivers, specifically meant for Windows 8.1 are now available on Dell support website.

I would suggest you to install the AMD driver for Windows 8.1 from the link: http://dell.to/1gHylP4.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further questions.

3 Posts

October 25th, 2013 16:00

no good. i wish i could get refund

2 Posts

October 25th, 2013 18:00

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know, that the above steps could not resolve the issue on my system (Windows 8.1, Inspiron 7520) either.
After uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers several times (with different error messages like 'setup is not validated on your system' or 'you do not have the required hardware to run this application on this computer'), I now have a running configuration that lists both adapters as active in the device manager. Switchable Graphics are available as well.

The "High Performance" adapter is not able to run any game (not even "Prince of Persia - The sands of time" (a game more than 8 Years old)) at an acceptable frame rate. The Intel driver seems to perform well, though.

Are there any other steps I could try to get better performance on the AMD Adapter?

Thanks for your support.
Regards, Günther

October 26th, 2013 00:00

SOLUTION !!!!!!!!

Right click on the Diablo 3 icon on the desktop ... properties .. compatibility tab .. select run this program in compatibility mode for .. Windows 7 ... save exit and enjoy !!!

October 26th, 2013 00:00

The Issue still exists. All new drivers were downloaded and installed.

Any solutions? I mean I dont want to format and go back.

1.5K Posts

October 26th, 2013 04:00

Hi Günther/ donibrasco,

I would suggest you to update the system BIOS. You may refer to the link: http://dell.to/1a3XS1h.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply for any further questions.

2 Posts

October 27th, 2013 04:00

Hey Shiraz Abdulla!

Thank you for the hint about compatibility mode. This made both the games I tried (MassEffect and Prince of Persia) run with acceptable frame rates on the "High Performance" adapter and maximum resolution. Don't know if the game actually runs on the AMD adapter or the Intel one now (it's not listed in the monitoring app), but as long as they work, it's ok :) 

@Amogh G
Thank you for the hint. My System BIOS already was at A10 before upgrading to Windows 8.1, so I guess re-applying that update won't change too much. I'll stick with the Compatibility Mode workaround for now, but it would be glad if someone could keep me posted about official non-workaround fixes for the problem.

Thanks and best regards,
Günther

1.5K Posts

October 29th, 2013 04:00

Hi Günther,

I am replying on behalf of Dell Amogh G. Glad to know that you are able to run the game and application in compatibility mode. However, I will advise you to keep updating the Windows Updates and game to make sure you have all the patches installed for any update.

Feel free to reach out to us if you need any assistance.

3 Posts

November 4th, 2013 08:00

Hi,

I've got the same issue since upgrading my Dell 15r SE 7520 to Windows. Do u guys have a solution yet? 

Bowser etc. works fine, but the metro apps look horrible and there's no game I can play. 

Thanks!

November 8th, 2013 00:00

I had selected my game to run it in windows 8 compatibility mode. the game worked flawlessy. Its not a driver issue. its a compaitibility issue. now im able to play star wars: the old republic no problem. I double checked to make sure that it was compatibility mode that was allowing me to run the game with smooth FPS.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 9th, 2013 05:00

@Birkenbaum I experienced the same problem. metro seems to be messed up. Try this: fire up CCC > Power > Switchable Graphics Global Settings > Change to: "optimize performance" when plugged in > Applly. check your metro apps. should be normal

Guys, try this. If you are experiencing performance problem when playing games, chances are your games are not utilizing your graphic adapter. Try this: fire up CCC > Power > Switchable Graphics Global Settings > Change to: "maximize performance" when plugged in > Apply

I've upgraded to win 8.1 and I can play BF4, COD Ghost, crysis 3 etc. with reasonable fps

2 Posts

November 9th, 2013 20:00

I to had same problem and got it solved.

Try this to install AMD for Dell 7520 15R-SE Windows 8.1

Firslty

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen.
  • Right click the entry listed under ‘Display Adapters’ and click ‘uninstall’. [After clicking uninstall a confirmation message pops out , tick the option 'Delete the driver software from this device'].

Once it is complete now

• Type ‘control appwiz.cpl’ in run box and press ‘Enter’. [It opens Programs and Features]
  • Now uninstall AMD Catalyst and Intel Graphics which ever is present.

Restart Your PC

Next

Lastly

• Right click the entry listed under ‘Display Adapters’ and click ‘Update Driver Software’. [ Upadte both Drivers listed]

After doing this much, i hope you will get your Driver Updated

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 09:00

Thanks, rahulpn25! This worked perfectly for me!

No Events found!