Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 8th, 2012 14:00

Inspiron 7520 doesn't boot without battery after BIOS update

Hi,

As I wanted to update my Inspiron 15R Special Edition to Windows 8 I updated the BIOS from A02 to A07. 

I always use my laptop without battery. For the flashing procedure the battery needs to be inserted. So I did that and the flashing procedure went fine. After that I removed the battery again an tried to start my laptop again. The power button LED flashes for a split second but after that nothing happens. The laptop starts fine with both power cord and battery plugged in. The battery even gets charged. 

I hope anyone can help me out.

PS: I managed to start the laptop once without battery, but I like to be able to always start the laptop without battery

9 Posts

November 28th, 2012 10:00

I've received a new adapter from Dell and it works perfectly!

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 9th, 2012 03:00

Hi fh5687,

I suggest that you check the status of the battery and the Ac adapter in the BIOS.  To go to BIOS, turn the system on, and at Dell logo keep taping on the F2 key every two seconds. In the ‘Main’ tab check what is listed for ‘Ac Adapter Type’ and then click on ‘Advance’ and check the ‘Battery Health’.

I also would like to know if there is a steady light on the Ac adapter when it is connected to the wall out let and when connected from the wall outlet to the system. Please check the same with or without the battery in the system

Please reply to this post with the status.

9 Posts

November 9th, 2012 10:00

Hi Sujatha K,

Thank for your response. The information gathered from the BIOS is:

AC Adapter Type: 90W

Battery Health: This battery is performing normally

When I connect the adapter to my system, with or without battery, the led indicator on the adapter has the following sequence: bright - less bright - off

Once I start the system (with battery of course) the light goes steady

I hope you have a solution to this

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 12th, 2012 07:00

Hi fh5687,

I suggest you to reset the BIOS to its defaults. To reset the bios, turn on the system, on dell logo tap on F2 key to go to BIOS settings page. Click ‘F9’ to reset system set up to factory default settings. Press ‘F10’ to save and exit from the BIOS screen.

Also flash BIOs once again from the given below:

http://dell.to/PijbRm 

It is a good idea and recommended to always have the Battery connected to the system.

9 Posts

November 12th, 2012 09:00

Hi Sujatha K,

Thank for your response. I tried both suggestions, but none of them helped...

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 14th, 2012 08:00

Hi  fh5687,

In that case the option is to use the system with the battery connected to the system.

9 Posts

November 14th, 2012 13:00

Hi Sujatha K,

Not really a satisfactory solution. I hope it gets fixed in future BIOS releases.

Can you tell me what the sequence of the ac adapter led (bright, less bright, off) means?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 15th, 2012 04:00

Hi fh5687,

The LED on the AC adapter will only be on or Off. That is when the Ac adapter is connected to the wall out let and from the outlet to the sytem the LED should be On.

934 Posts

November 15th, 2012 06:00

"h5687"

How did the power adapter Led behave before the BIOS update ? It should be just "on" and "off" and it is not controlled by the mainboard or any software - it's just a simple "power ok" indicator. Furthermore the Led is directly connected to the 19V output voltage inside the brick and if the brightness changes so does the voltage - something the mainboard doesn't like at all......

Try another (Dell compatible)power adapter - I hope you can borrow one from a friend !! It is possible that it already had a problem.The BIOS update might have changed the system performance which then led to slightly more power consumption and now causing the ailing power adapter to fail completely.

9 Posts

November 15th, 2012 09:00

Hi MicroTest ,

The led of ac adapter was always 'on' when connected to a wall outlet prior to the bios update (as one would expect)

Will try to find another dell 90w adapter to see what happens then!

9 Posts

November 16th, 2012 08:00

I tried the ac adapter of my old laptop, and the laptop boots fine without battery. So it seems the ac adapter is malfunctioning.

@Sujatha K: Any possibility Dell is going to replace the ac adapter?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 20th, 2012 04:00

Hi fh5687,

Good to know the system is working fine with another Ac adapter. We will definitely replace the AC adapter if the system is under warranty. However I request you to perform these steps and let me know the status. Please shut the system down, remove the battery and disconnect the ac adapter, press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds. Now connect the original Ac adapter that came along with the system to see if it works. 

I also request you to give me the PPID number of the Ac adapter though private message, which will be listed on the brick of the old laptop’s Ac adapter and it usually starts with ‘CN’, KR, MX, or JP and it is 20 digit alpha numeric codes. 

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

Please send a private message with the service tag of the system to check the warranty details and assist you further. I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 26th, 2012 09:00

Hi,

This customer conversation was taken offline for privacy reasons. The solution to this issue is Ac adpater replacment . If you continue to experience issues after attempting these steps, please start a new thread.

1 Message

November 1st, 2014 02:00

Hello,

I have exactly  same problem with my adaptor like user FH5687. I still have DELL Service tag <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> available.i`m from Romania, can i change my adapter with servige tag? Please let me know and what can i do. Thanks.

No Events found!