Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2017 12:00

Inspiron 7559 4K Display lag

I'm having what seems to be a known problem. I'm posting this in the hopes that maybe someone has found a solution to this as well as to expose the problem a little more to dell in the hopes that they'd address it.

I have a dell inspiron 7559 with the 4k display option. The laptop comes with an nvidia 960m as well as a 6700HQ. Windows animations lag. A lot of programs not built into windows 10 lag as well including chrome and firefox. Now the catch is that microsoft edge browser runs absolutely smooth. This gives me reason to believe that the problem may be a driver concern? For Edge to run smoothly means that the laptop has the power to render windows at 4k resolution. I guess certain programs may have problems interacting with the hardware.

If I lower the resolution in windows settings, the lag is reduced although still present depending on the amount of other programs I have running.

I updated my intel graphics drivers to the latest versions avaiailbe from dell and I've updated to the latest nvidia drivers directly from nvidia themselves. I tried updating to the latest intel drivers from their site but was stopped by an error message since the drivers are not made by dell.

Any help on the situation would be gladly provided. This is my only problem with the laptop as of now.

14 Posts

April 26th, 2017 19:00

Dell released an update to the intel graphics driver today. Did not improve the choppy animations. Hopefully they see this thread and put some optimizations into the next driver. WRT the steps above. It does mitigate the lag a bit (mostly due to the decrease in resolution I would think) but the lab is still apparent. Not really a suggested solution as it is flagged right now. More of a bandaid to pretend the problem isn't there.

13 Posts

April 27th, 2017 12:00

how were you able to update the graphics drivers?

14 Posts

April 27th, 2017 13:00

Log onto dell support and input your laptop's service tag number found on the back. Then its just to download and install the display driver. No additional steps, it installs perfectly fine since they were provided by dell themselves. But note, it really doesn't improve anything with respect to the problem we're experiencing.

6 Posts

April 27th, 2017 13:00

The Inspiron 7559 has 2 graphic cards. One is the powerful GTX 960M and the other is Intel HD 530.

It's the Intel HD 530 that drive the screen when you're not using 3D applications. I have the same problem as you do but with the Dell XPS 9550 that has Core i7 6700HQ ( that has intel HD 530) and GTX 960M using Dell driver.

You will need to install the latest driver from Intel website for HD530 (Build version 4627).To do so, google Display Driver Uninstaller. Uninstall Intel HD 530 driver in safe mode using the software. Then download the Zip version of Intel driver and install it.  

In Control panel Power option, change the Laptop Power Profile to high Performance. In Intel Graphics settings --> power --> choose Maximum Performance. Also Disable Panel Self Refresh too.

The lag is reduced but still not as smooth as the other machines. Chrome is smooth, start menu animation is better. Adobe applications still have major lags though.

I hope this helps.

13 Posts

April 27th, 2017 21:00

Is windows animation, such as using the task bar, smoother as well?

6 Posts

April 27th, 2017 22:00

It is fairly smooth for the task bar. Not perfect but it's better than Dell driver.

13 Posts

April 29th, 2017 19:00

@larabee119

Just to be sure, what software did you use to uninstall the Intel HD 530 driver? I'm just wondering this there were lots of programs that do so.

6 Posts

April 29th, 2017 21:00

Update to my answer, dell recently release the HD 530 build 4627 that is the same with the latest build from Intel. You can use that driver.

To clean driver, I use DDU - display driver uninstaller.

I also notice an improvement in animation by switching to 1080p then switch back to 4K.

13 Posts

April 30th, 2017 22:00

After updating it, the animations are a lot smoother to the point that its tolerable. The only things isn't smooth for me is watching some facebook videos fullscreen, switching to the task bar using browsers that is under a heavy load, changing window sizes, and browser scrolling on certain websites (although this is somewhat unnoticeable).

Hopefully the next update can fix this but regardless, I think these improvements are welcomed.

1 Message

October 3rd, 2017 11:00

Guys i am also facing this issue, specially using excel is very irritating on this laptop. Scrolling down from page to page and cell to cell is too laggy and slow. Have any fix been released yet by Dell or not?

14 Posts

October 9th, 2017 09:00

There is no complete fix. Over the last few months, Dell has posted an updated version of the intel graphics driver. This has improved the performance and the animations to tolerable levels, although lagging is still present. Update all your drivers and you should see an improvement.

22 Posts

December 12th, 2017 10:00

Any news about this issue?, this is getting quite frustrating.

No Events found!