Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2017 17:00

Inspiron 7559 Audio devices disappeared after Dell updates.

New Inspiron i7559 purchased 1-13-17. Windows 10 Home pre-installed.

2-12-17 -  Audio devices disappeared after Dell updates.

"No Audio Devices are installed"

REALTEK driver does not show up under Sound, Video and Game Controllers

Dell Realtek driver re-installation same result.

Dell diagnostics did not find a sound card.

I ran UBUNTU Live off a flash drive and no sound devices were found.

I am now using a USB sound adapter and that works OK.

I think the Realtek chip or decoder is fried.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 12th, 2017 17:00

I don't think an update would burn out your audio although it may have made some type of change to your configuration.  Do you know what update it was?

In Device Manager, if you set it to see Hidden Devices, does the Realtek Audio show there?

If you look in Task Manger, the Services tab, there is a Windows Audio and Realtek Audio Service.  Are they both running?

Just a warning, there is supposed to be a fairly large Windows Update released Tuesday.  That may help or hurt but possibly it will address the problem you are seeing.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 13th, 2017 04:00

I ran UBUNTU Live off a flash drive and no sound devices were found.

I think the Realtek chip or decoder is fried.

Running Ubuntu Live was a good test. You could be right about failure of the audio chip.

You can run the audio test in the ePSA utility. That test does not depend on the Realtek Windows audio driver. If you do not hear any sounds at all during the test, then definitely hardware failure.

If you do hear the test tones, that doesn't entirely rule out hardware failure, as they are low level system tones that the system might be able to generate even when it cannot produce higher level audio.

contact tech support

No Events found!