Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 17th, 2016 13:00

Inspiron 7559 becomes unusably slow about 2-3 minutes after every startup/sleep

Hey All,

Just as a preface this was a laptop bought from Amazon Warehouse deals, so it is a used laptop. No idea how long it was used...But the hard drive was brand new per CystalDiskInfo. I'm guessing this laptop was opened but never really used. This is an Inspiron 7559, a pretty common gaming laptop, running Windows 10.

Out of the box this thing was running incredibly sluggish. Even when setting up Windows 10 navigating between pages was taking 10+ seconds for the mouse input to register. I also tried a fresh Windows install just to be sure. The only things currently on the computer are the standard Dell bloatware and a few hardware monitoring tools to diagnose the problem. And when I say slow, I mean opening up windows file explorer or task manager takes 30+ seconds and mouse/keyboard inputs take 10+ seconds. When I hit the wall I do notice that CPU frequency jumps down to 800MHz, assumingly the lowest possible frequency based on the multiplier range.

My temperatures generally sit between 40-60C, but my fans never seem to actually start up. When I  updated the BIOS the fans started blasting, so I know they aren't just totally dead.

I've also run multiple hardware tests that say the hard drive, memory, and CPU are fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this or any other means of diagnosing the problem? The Dell Diagnostics toolkit was run and the fan test didn't throw any issue, but I don't see any way of controlling the fans to even test whether or not having the fans running on full blast would prevent this.

3 Posts

September 18th, 2016 20:00

So I was able to figure out what I assume was causing the issue.

I uninstalled the "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework" driver, found on your drivers page under the chipset tab: www.dell.com/.../advanced

The page says it was last updated on 9/15/2016, so this is a relatively new update...However, whenever this latest version of the driver is installed it prevents my fans from ever starting up, causing my massive CPU throttling. I tried 3-4 times reinstalling, and the second the driver gets uninstalled the fans start right up.

For the time being I am just running with that driver uninstalled, as I couldn't find a previous version to check if there is a version that works.

It's not a perfect solution, as I am pretty sure this driver is what allows dynamic CPU scaling based on thermals, which means I will be stuck at my stock CPU frequency...And I would certainly like TurboBoost to be giving me extra performance and I would want downclocking to occur when I am sitting idle so I don't eat up battery life.

If you have the means I would hope that you could have someone look into this issue to see if it is a reported problem.

2K Posts

September 17th, 2016 19:00

Hi OKP11,

Does the system overheat, although you have mentioned temperature fluctuates between 40-60° C? Does this freezing / slowing issue occur with or without the adapter connected? Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter?

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. Also run the extended tests on the HDD and memory. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

If the system is still slow or tends to freeze then, restart the system and press f2 to enter BIOS - leave the system in BIOS with the adapter plugged in for as long as possible and check if the system freezes while in BIOS - you would notice there is a system clock ticking in BIOS - if the system freezes, then the clock would have frozen as well.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

3 Posts

September 18th, 2016 08:00

>Does the system overheat, although you have mentioned temperature fluctuates between 40-60° C?

I haven't ever seen it get dangerously hot. 60 is about the highest I've seen it get. The CPU frequency multiplier bumps down to the lowest possible frequency when this slowdown occurs though so it makes sense that it doesn't continue to get hotter and hotter.

>Does this freezing / slowing issue occur with or without the adapter connected? Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter?

It happens regardless of whether it is plugged in or not. Yes, I am using an OEM adapter.

>Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. Also run the extended tests on the HDD and memory. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

Diagnostics test resulted in no errors.

>If the system is still slow or tends to freeze then, restart the system and press f2 to enter BIOS - leave the system in BIOS with the adapter plugged in for as long as possible and check if the system freezes while in BIOS - you would notice there is a system clock ticking in BIOS - if the system freezes, then the clock would have frozen as well.

The system continued to run for about 45 minutes without any slowdown. While in the BIOS the fans actually spin up. When Windows starts up though the fans turn off and never turn back on.

>Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Will be PMing you shortly. Thank you for the help.

2K Posts

September 18th, 2016 18:00

Hi OKP11,

Thank you for the update.

Kindly provide a copy of the invoice for case records and fill out this form to transfer the ownership of the system to your name - http://dell.to/1ObE4vF

If the system is not freezing / slow in BIOS or in diags, then the issue could be OS related.

Restart the system and check in safe mode - http://bit.ly/1LHcO2c

Create a local admin account and check - http://bit.ly/1JoFhcw

You had mentioned that you tried a fresh copy of Win 10. Are you using the retail media or the OEM media? 

Reinstall the OS and check - download the factory image from here - http://dell.to/1JsMeJg

2K Posts

September 21st, 2016 19:00

Hi OKP11,

Thank you for the update.

You could find all the previous versions of drivers here - http://dell.to/2cEcqbT

Try them and keep us updated.

No Events found!