Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2014 00:00

Inspiron 7737 Touchscreen and USB root hub gone AWOL

After the latest Windows update my machine restarted to no USB mouse activity. I checked Device Manager and could see that the USB root hub was not functioning so I then proceeded to reuse Windows update and it told me there was an update available for Intel USB hub so I ran this and after another restart and some fiddling (it tried to make me install a USB keyboard driver which I had to uncheck as it kept failing and preventing the mouse driver installing) I got my mouse working again.

However I now have no touchscreen functionality) this is shown as non fuctioning in the device drivers, it also says the transciever for the mouse isn't recognised but as the mouse works I don't really care about this).

In answer to the suspected responses, yes I do have a touchscreen (or rather did have!), yes I do have the latest BIOS, I've run the Dell update and touchsceen doesn't appear as an option for device drivers, no this is 99.999% not a hardware issue unless its unbelievably coincidental with Windows Update and no it did not give me an option to rollback my drivers for any of the devices that stopped working.

How do I get my touchscreen functioning again?

108 Posts

July 11th, 2014 02:00

OK apparently my original post may have been too complicated, simple question where to I get touchscreen drivers for my Inspiron 7000-7737 as they don't show up on the downloads for my machine and I'm sick of seeing the yellow exclamation mark next to 'Unknown Touchscreen' in device manager.

Anybody from Dell care to respond?

108 Posts

January 26th, 2015 08:00

Fixed it with an upgrade to the Windows 10 Technical Preview so in my case it is not hardware or in fact a Dell problem (sorry for blaming Dell although as I've had no 'official' responses to any of my posts this is a somehwat muted sorry).

This appears to be related to the Microsoft implementation of the Intel xHCI USB drivers which they took over from Intel for Windows 8/8.1, all my devices are now working correctly and I'm finally free from exclamation marks in device manager.

No Events found!