Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2009 22:00

Inspiron 9100 - Windows 7 - Audio driver

SigmaTel audio drivers that will load in windows 7 (or some instructions to get the vista drivers to work).  Tried running the install for the vista drivers in compatibility mode with admin rights but contine to get "drivers are corupt or missing" error 39.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

July 15th, 2009 09:00

SigmaTel audio drivers that will load in windows 7 (or some instructions to get the vista drivers to work).  Tried running the install for the vista drivers in compatibility mode with admin rights but contine to get "drivers are corupt or missing" error 39.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Still wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get the driver to work.  Has anyone installed Vista with it working and then upgraded to 7?  Did that work?  Any ideas are appreciated.

August 31st, 2009 22:00

I have read all the information available on the Dell website.  I realize I am probably asking alot to have Windows 7 supported so early on such an old laptop.  That being said, I want my sound to work.  Still looking for some assistance.  Anyone out there found anything else to try?  Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 1st, 2009 06:00

If win7 works like Vista you have to install the Intel Mobile Chipset driver prior to the installation of the Sigmatel audio driver. I don't know where you find a Vista version of the chipset driver for your model. Maybe you can install the XP version using compatibility mode.

December 15th, 2009 08:00

I have gotten all drivers to successfully install and work.  Here is how I did it - I installed a fresh version of Windows Vista.  Installed all the drivers, then immediately did an upgrade to Windows 7.  Worked like a charm.  Now I like my laptop again!  I can use it as a windows extender device and watch internet movies on my TV!!!  WITH SOUND!!!

I was never able to find a way to make it work without doing the upgrade.

Chris Taylor MCTS

1 Message

December 15th, 2009 08:00

Has anyone gotten this to work? I upgraded my Inspiron 9100 to Windows 7, thinking I'd be able to just download another sound driver to get the Sigmatel audio to work, and have had no luck with this.  Everything else seems perfect.

What's disturbing is the DELL support guy actually told me "this machine was only made for the XP, so no other operating system will work. But I can transfer you over to purchase another laptop..."

Given that Microsoft is no longer SUPPORTING XP, I'd like to upgrade my machine to windows 7....

Can anyone offer help here?

Thanks in Advance,

A.

December 27th, 2009 10:00

Hello everybody

I’ve successfully performed a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 32-bit on my Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop.

First I downloaded and installed the Chipset device software for Windows 7, 32 bit:

1) Intel® 82865PE MCH
    INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 5, 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets (infinst911autol.exe)
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18494&lang=eng

Then I installed the modem and audio drivers manually using Vista SP2 compatibility mode:

2) Motorola SM56 Software Modem
    Universal Windows Driver, Vista/XP/2K/ME/98, For DFV/Universal Modem, Release 6.12.07 (Windows_SM56_6.12.07_DFV.zip)
3) Integrated Device Technology STAC 9750
    Dell SIGMATEL STAC 9750 AC97, v.5.10.0.3952, A15 (R90698.EXE)

To install the driver in compatibility mode, simply extract the drivers, open the setup program properties window,  select the compatibility tab, select options to ‘run in Vista SP2 compatibility mode‘ and to ‘run as administrator’.

BTW: It runs several times faster than the corresponding XP version.

Have fun,
M.

2 Posts

November 16th, 2012 11:00

Thanks "M" above.   Have Win7 on an Insp. 9100, performed steps 1 and 3 above for audio. Worked beautifully, now have audio. Why doesn't Dell just publish them on the 9100 drivers page, that would have cost me 5 minutes, but it has taken me 30 minutes to find the solution. Why Dell why do you make it so hard sometimes?     btw, the link above didn't work, I had to google R90698.exe to get to the download page.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 16th, 2012 11:00

I don't know why Dell does not have that info on the drivers & downloads page of the Inspiron 9100, but it is the Laptop Audio FAQs which is the first post pinned to the top of this discussion board. It is in the Audio Driver FAQ.

All of the links are broken because one day Dell decided to move the location of the drivers without bothering to tell anybody. I'm only gradually getting my links fixed.

2 Posts

November 16th, 2012 12:00

Well, thanks for answering.  Do you have any idea how to get the DVD drivers for 9100 with Win7? My DVD doesn't work. I've been using an external usb  DVD drive.   Thanks in advance.       Will

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 16th, 2012 14:00

I have never heard of having to install a dvd driver. Maybe it needs reseating. Here is the DVD FAQ.

And here is the dvd board where probably someone can help. Sorry that I can't.

No Events found!