Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2010 11:00

Inspiron 9300 - GPU Fan Not Running Properly

I was posting about this problem in another similar thread, but since this may be a different issue I decided to create a new thread for it.

I am currently in possession of an Inspiron 9300, which was brought to me so I could try to fix it. The user complained that the computer will lock up and artifacts would appear on the screen. After investigating further, I discovered that the GPU fan never runs. I tried temporarily connecting it to the CPU fan pins, at which point the fan would spin: so it seems that the fan is not physically broken. Moreover, when I connected the GPU fan back to its own pins, I could get it to spin using third-party software: so it seems that it can be told to spin by at least the operating system. Now, the question is: Why won't it spin on its own, even when the card begins to overheat? I've tried using the latest drivers and BIOS from the Dell website to no avail. I also tried to boot into Ubuntu Linux, and the same thing would occur, which suggests that the problem is more fundamental than the operating system. But what could it be? The sensors seem to accurately report the GPU's temperature. And the GPU, when cooled (using an external fan), seems to run without a problem. So whatever is supposed to tell the GPU fan to start spinning just isn't doing its job. Any ideas?

January 9th, 2010 07:00

Just a guess here. Is the BIOS up to date? I think thats what controls the fan speed at a temperature. Also, If there is another Hard Drive, connect it, and install Windows again. Install all the drivers from dell's support site. Once everything is up to date, and it still has the same issue, I don't know what it is.

January 9th, 2010 08:00

I was able to reproduce the problem as experienced by the owner, which was artifacts on the screen and lock-up due to the overheating graphics card. I know this because, as I mentioned, the GPU temperature is reporting accurately (and I can see the temperature rising until the artifacts and lock-up occur) and I tried using an external fan to cool the graphics card, which kept it running stably. So overheating definitely seems to be the issue. I'm left with what's causing that issue and how to eliminate it.

As for the fan test, I did try it along with several other Dell diagnostic tests. No problems were reported. And I suppose that makes sense, since the other evidence I mentioned indicates that the fan is not broken and can be told to spin. I would guess that there's something that's supposed to be telling the fan to spin though that isn't doing its job. What that is I don't know.

539 Posts

Given the problem reproduces in UBUNTU also I'd say its a freak occurrence /. double whammy where the ability to switch on the fan is crippled due to high temperature. 

Workaround would be to manually start the fan when GPU intensive stuff happens - if that fixes the problem I'd opt for a GPU replacement if its seated on a separate board.

Otherwise it's the manual option or MOBO replacement.

Thanks for your response. I did mention that I installed the latest drivers and BIOS from the Dell website, but it didn't help. In fact, the latest BIOS was already installed but I re-flashed it anyway in case it was somehow corrupted.

I was thinking about trying to install Windows on another hard drive to see if that would resolve anything, but I decided against it because the fan even had an issue when I tried to boot Linux. I've never heard of a computer whose fans are so vitally dependent on the software that they won't work without very specific drivers. It seems like something more fundamental than the OS should control that. So that's either horrible design or something more fundamental than the OS and drivers is wrong. However, since it is possible that it's horrible design, I could try to reinstall Windows.

If that doesn't work, then it must be something with the hardware, which I suspect is the case. Maybe there is something wrong with the graphics card that isn't telling to system to keep it cooled properly, but that seems unlikely because the sensors are working and the GPU fan is actually attached to the motherboard rather than the graphics card directly. So something might be wrong with the motherboard? Is there a way to test that without buying these parts and swapping them out? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you.

539 Posts

DELL diagnostic CD has a fan test on different speeds.

The image can be downloaded from the DELL website and burned on a CD using an ISO burner.

FIrst thing i'd try to reproduce the problem as experienced by the owner.

GPU temps can be tracked - if it's going down due to a thermal issue at least the temp reading should be far off.

Yeah, it's definitely weird, which makes me think I'm overlooking something, but I can't imagine what. That is a workaround I considered, but I would not be comfortable with that as this is not my computer and I will be giving it back to the owner. Because, for example, if the computer is already warm during boot-up, artifacts can occur before the fan control program starts. I'd rather avoid that. Also, why would you opt for a GPU replacement? It can be replaced, but is there something that suggests to you the problem lies in the GPU rather than the motherboard? I would have thought the motherboard since the GPU seems to be doing its part: it reports its temperature correctly; and the fan is connected to the motherboard rather than the GPU directly. But I don't know really. Since both replacement GPUs and motherboards are expensive, I'd like to be as certain as possible that I'm targeting the right piece.

539 Posts

Because the fan can be switched on from the DIAG CD,the infrastructure on the MOBO seems ok.

i'd say the request to switch-on the fan comes from the GPU directly - not something in between.

I'd let the owner decide -  - MOBO replacement is probably more expensive that GPU replacement.

Yes - it's a gamble but it seems the options are properly researched and there's not much else to do.

January 9th, 2010 09:00

That's a good point. If he's interested, I might have him purchase a replacement graphics card and motherboard and -- if possible -- return the one that doesn't solve the problem. I'll look into it. Thanks for your help.

November 6th, 2014 07:00

It's 4 yeas later and I have the same issue with the same laptop. Curious what you ended up finding out and doing?  Thanks Brice

No Events found!