Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

A

22 Posts

June 12th, 2003 11:00

Inspiron AC Power Adaptor... Broken connector. Please post here if you have the same problem

I'm currently in a ruck with Dell UK Support about my AC Power Adaptor. The cable immediately before the connector plugs into the laptop is broken. This is not an isolated incident... I have 4 AC adaptors for 4 laptops. Currently only 2 work and the third is a bit dodgy. Thus I regard the problem as a design flaw. All of these chargers are PA-6 with P/N 9364U.

Unfortunately, my Inspiron is out of Warranty support, so the AC adaptor is not covered under warranty, however, I believe that design flaws should not need to be covered and therefore Dell should perhaps exact a product recall and replace all of the suspect AC Chargers at their expense.

If anyone else has had this problem, either with the Connector coming off; power not reaching the laptop due to a broken core inside the cable, bunching of the rubber around the cable immediately before the connector; or similar symptons, then please e-mail me and post a message on this board. My e-mail is andrew@nicols.co.uk 

I have spoken with Dell and they are claiming that this is not a fault and that they have not come across it before. Looking in this forum, I have come across posts regarding an identical problem and therefore they are obviously not quite producing the truth.

My thanks in advance,

Andrew Nicols

13 Posts

June 13th, 2003 04:00

HI

YES, I just posted a message about sources to buy another power cord  .  I have an Inspiron 7000 and I bought the docking station so I was lucky to have 2 power cords.  They are both broken right at the point you mentioned.  The number is PN: 1243C or 7832D.  The problem (in my opinion) is the heavy barrel *thing* about 1/2" from the connection to the laptop.  It weighs down the cord and after time causes a bend in the cord.  I don't know if you have the same type of cord but it seems obvious to me what is wrong with the cord.  I don't know if the barrel could be moved to the other end of the cord or not???  Dell, are you listening?????

June 13th, 2003 05:00

Yeah.. mine's the same. The barrell thing prevents the build up of magnetic fields in the cable. It is the problem as far as I'm aware but Dell don't want to admit this. Still... I found out that I've actually been speaking to people in India for their Tech Support.

If the cable between the suppressor barrelly thingummy and the adaptor was either a heck of a lot stronger; or the barrell wasn't on the cable at all it would be better. Unfortunately, it is too late for us... the barrell cannot be moved further down the cord as this defeats it's purpose of blocking the magnetic fileds, but for future reference DELL: Perhaps you could build it into the laptop itself somehow... or make some way of clipping the cable after the black barrell thingummy to the laptop so it doesn't hang down... ANYTHING to stop it destroying the darn thing!

Anyone else got the same problem and ideas of how to solve it for Dell num.. ahem techies?

Andrew

1 Message

June 13th, 2003 17:00

I too am having the same problem, and the computer kept switching from AC to battery, which was aggravating enough, I usually would be able to wiggle the cord and it would switch back on to AC power, and then I would just be careful not to move the cord. Yesterday, however, while moving the cord, I noticed some smoke coming from the connector. Does Dell cover something like this under warranty (which I am still under) or am I out the $50 or so that the power cord costs?

June 13th, 2003 21:00

Luckily for you it's warranty... for me however... it's too late :-(

2 Posts

June 14th, 2003 14:00

Boy am I glad I decided to check out the forum today! I started experiencing the same problem last night. The laptop (Inspiron 8100) was running on battery power and wasn't recognizing that the adapter was plugged in. On occasion, I could wiggle the cord to where it would switch to AC power, but it was only for a few seconds.

I powered up the laptop this morning - the LED on the adapter was on but still no AC power to the laptop. And wiggling the cord did nothing today.

I couldn't find anything in the Knowledge Base regarding this problem. At least I'm not the only one experiencing this.

13 Posts

June 15th, 2003 07:00

Just a note .... be careful..... switching from a/c to battery (via wiggling the cord) ((I know exactly what your going through))... can cause big problems with your entire computer.  I don't know the technical side of laptops but this happened to me about a year and half ago and I had to send it in for Dell to replace the motherboard.  It got a funny burnt smell and locked up.  This all happened right after my first a/c cord started to seperate and i did the "wiggle" thing.  Just wanted to share that with you all.  I ordered a new cord last week from laptopsforless... i think it was about 65.00 and it arrived in 2 days... it is worth it ... if your not under warranty.  :-)

1 Message

June 17th, 2003 19:00

i have this problem with an inspiron 4150. at first i thought it was something wrong with the cable so i ordered a new one. however this has not helped and i'm lost at what to do.  i have done the aforementioned 'wiggle' thing and i have a nasty feeling it is a connecter within the computer that has become loose, in which case i can easily fix this myself but if i do do so will i still be covered by warranty?? cheers

(sorry for the lack of caps, but im only using one hand:D)

2 Posts

June 19th, 2003 02:00

Yep me too! I have the same problem, and it occurred just recently. I am not sure if I am still under warranty. I'm on the phone with someone with a heavy accent, who probably feels the same way about me. But he has a difficult time speaking English... I have to keep repeating what I am saying in different ways in order for him to understand. Hee hee, it's more funny and cute than annoying though at this point.

The power cord is ADP-70EB for an Inspiron 4150. And I agree that it was a design flaw with the barrel hanging so close. I've taped it up with electrical tape and am hoping for the best! I think they might be sending me a new one as I am still under warranty until November 11th, 2003. Then I have extended warranty until 2005. This IS a design flaw.

Message Edited by ethosgurl on 06-18-2003 11:14 PM

1 Message

June 19th, 2003 07:00

It's nice to be understood.

I bought my Inspiron 4100 in December 2001.  By February 2002 adaptor number one was dodgy - at the point the computer-adaptor cable comes out of the box rather than at the plug for the computer.  I had it replaced under warranty and adaptor number two lasted until April 2003 (over a year) until it broke somewhere near the plug that goes into the computer.  I had number two replaced - also under warranty.  Adaptor three was broken when I received it in May 2003 - the break was somewhere in the plug that goes into the computer.  Adaptor number four has just arrived - only it has arrived without an AC cable (and I already sent the AC cable with the broken adaptor back to Dell) so, rather unhappily, I am the proud owner of adaptor number four (in 18 months) which, although it seems to plug neatly into the computer there's no way of plugging it into the wall.  Once again, I'm fighting the Dell telephone operator battle... and not getting very far very fast.

I think I will buy another adaptor and keep one at home and one at work.  That way I may be doing less twisting, packing and unpacking with these (obviously quite fragile) black beasts.  With that, hopefully numbers five and six will last until my bank account is doing well enough for me to get a Think Pad.

It's all a mite frustrating... but the community helps.  Thanks Andrew.

June 19th, 2003 08:00

I'm thinking along the same lines... except I only use my laptop in one place anyway more or less... well only charge it in one place at least. I've just had to replace the whole Palm Rest simply because one Mouse button broke! Now that is bad design. I'm moving to Compaq when I can afford such things. I think though, in the mean time I'll buy a docking station for this Dell... Apparently it comes with a power charger and it would also give me a bit more security at uni. Makes it harder to nick. I'm only a poor poor student... I can't afford all of the phone calls to Dell. But you'd think that when you buy 4 Dell Inspirons and 1 Dimension inside of a year they'd treat you a bit better... especially when you're only a family of four!

I'm sorry Dell... but you've made a few more unhappy customers. I wouldn't mind the whole power adaptor so much if it was a standard connector rather than some dodgy contraption which can only be bought from the manufacturer... probably fox conn, and probably in batches of a few thousand... And as Fox Conn only deal with large company's such as dell.. we're screwed. This is pants service.

On another power supply note, I've made a complaint to UL... They're the regulators for most power supplies in the world... including the Dell Inspiron's one. If anyone else feels like doing so... please do. I'll post the web-site for them on here as soon as I can remember it.

Andrew

2 Posts

June 19th, 2003 15:00

Thanks to swedee for mentioning laptopsforless. I bought a refurbished adapter from them, and my laptop is running on ac power now.

2 Posts

June 20th, 2003 00:00

Can I ask why the power dock thingy is of help?

1 Message

June 20th, 2003 01:00

I have the same problem -  with a  PA-6 P/N 9364U.  My warranty was up about 2 weeks ago.  I am afraid to move with the laptop on my lap for fear of dislodging the cord, but it seems to be maintaining the connection (for now). 

I remember having the same problem with a Latitude laptop - but it had a spare power cord with the docking station that was moved around less so I was able to swap them.

June 20th, 2003 07:00

The Advanced port replicator comes with a power supply. If I bought one, I wouldn't move my laptop around as much when I was charging it so it's less likely to get damaged. It also means that the laptop is harder to steal if it's locked into things. Only problemo is the price of the Port Replicator :-(

June 22nd, 2003 08:00

I got an e-mail from someone else with same problem. Is pasted below:

Same problem and my warranty expired a month ago. It am getting an AC connection right now but I am afraid to move.

Robin

No Events found!