Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 8th, 2011 16:00

Inspiron Duo docking station wont play BBC iPlayer or 4oD

i recently purchased an Inspiron Duo with the docking station but the speakers wont play programmes from BBC iPlayer or 4oD without the sound cutting out when the laptop is docked.

I have spent many hours on the phone to tech support and they even sent new dock in the hope that it would rectify the situation. Sadly no.

The docking station is great and when the laptop is docked the speakers work with itunes, windows players. AVI's play without problems, using VLC media player, and external cds and DVDs work fine.

But it does not work with these trusted sites internet sites. Why!? Has anyone else experienced problems with the Inspiron Duo Docking Station?

297 Posts

March 9th, 2011 15:00

Right click on the video when it is playing. Then select "Settings" and then uncheck the tickbox for "Enable hardware acceleration". (In the Display section which is the first one to show.)

Should have nothing to do with your issue, however it seems to be a cure-all for a host of Flash player bugs.

297 Posts

March 8th, 2011 18:00

I suggest you go here and run the test undocked and then docked. Is there any difference in performance? Might need to do this several times at different times of the day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics

5 Posts

March 8th, 2011 18:00

I'm having audio problems trying to play episodes of TV shows via TVGuide.com and Hulu with my duo and Audiostation.. The video and audio is fine for about 10 minutes, then the audio goes mute while the video continues.:emotion-42: Sound is fine for other applications. The controls seem to work fine, except for the TV shows. Anyone have any ideas? By the way, I'm using my system via my home wireless network with Verizon Broadband.

1 Message

March 9th, 2011 06:00

Hi there,

Yes, I have an Inspiron Duo with the docking station.  I have noticed the sound cutting out

as well.  It's particularly noticeable on iPlayer, but we have noticed it on other video sites such

as YouTube and DooTV.com.

I don't know the answer just yet, but if I find anything out I will let you know.

Have you tried other browsers?  I only use Firefox, so I wondered if the problem was specific to it.

regards

Paul S

297 Posts

March 9th, 2011 11:00

You too should run the BBC test linked in one of the posts above, both docked and undocked and at varying times of the day. See is there any significant difference in the results between docked and undocked modes.

You should also make sure that you have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player installed. And the latest version of Java. However if it were a flash player issue then I would expect that either it would not work at all when docked or iPlayer crashed when docked. However best to eliminate that possibility however remote it appears.

It seems to me that docking your laptop somehow interferes with the network, hence my suggestion of the BBC test.

You could also try switching off "Enable hardware acceleration" in flash player. This fixes video issues, I have never heard of it in the context of audio, but worth a shot.

Quite frankly I would also expect the video to drop out before the audio. So this is a bit of a mystery.

3 Posts

March 9th, 2011 15:00

i have tried both google chrome and windows explorer and both have the same problems.

I have also done the diagnostic tests when docked and undocked, both show a green tick, and very similar results.

I do not know how to alter the 'hardware acceleration' for flash player

Hmmm... any other solutions will be most welcome. Thanks again.

Lavinia

3 Posts

March 10th, 2011 10:00

Dear Enceladus

Thank you! This seems to work for BBC iplayer, you tube and 4od!

Happy days

Yours Gratefully

Lavinia :emotion-2:

PS fingers crossed the problem does not reemerge 

5 Posts

March 10th, 2011 16:00

I've noticed a buffer indicator appears at the top of the video screen when the audio stops. The indicator disappears when audio returns. If this is a buffering issue, how can I fix it? :emotion-7:

Peggy

No Events found!