Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

17 Posts

August 8th, 2006 01:00

Inspiron E1505 Shift Key Came Off

My left shift key just popped off.  It seems that the spring thing that slips into the two little holes on the body of the keyboard just popped out.  I don't know enough to know if it is damaged or not.  I was able to put it back, but it seems a 4 month old computer should not do that.  Should I ask for a warranty service on it or is it a common occurence?

1 Rookie

• 

168 Posts

August 8th, 2006 05:00

You should try asking to send it in for a repair (they generally replace the entire keyboard, and not just a single key).  I had a key come off of my last laptop model, and since it was covered under warranty, Dell allowed me to send it to them to replace the keyboard -- no questions asked and free of charge (even sent it back quickly to boot).  So I suggest giving that option a shot first; if for whatever reason it isn't covered by your warranty, you can buy a replacement keyboard from Ebay or Dell for between $15-$30 dollars, and the installation procedure is quite simple.

2.2K Posts

August 8th, 2006 16:00

ShoalsRebel,

These are basic instructions for replacing a keycap. The spacebar can be a bit trickier, but I present them in the hope they help. If they do not help, then replacing the keyboard is the only option.

Please shake the keycap and see if ther is an x-shaped plastic assembly hanging below the keycap. If it is there the re-assembly is as follows. Carefully note the position of the assembly relative to the letter marked on the upper LH corner of the keycap. You must remove the plastic assembly (it is called a scissor hinge) from the key top cap. If you look carefully at it, you will see how it snaps into the key top cap. Once it is off, slip each of the four legs of the scissor hinge underneath the appropriate loops on the key assembly on the keyboard. Keep the same relative alignment with respect to the keycap letter. When this is done correctly, the scissor hinge will stand up straight just waiting for the key top cap. Carefully line up the keycap with the letter in the correct position and push it firmly down onto the key. It should snap into place.

17 Posts

August 8th, 2006 18:00

Thanks......I did get the key back on and it seems to be functioning.......however, it didn't look anything like you described.

I'm just concerned about potential future malfunctions and if my warranty will be in effect. I would hate to have to fork over $$ when the problem is in warranty now.

Shoally

June 11th, 2007 02:00

I had the same thing happen to me tonight but it happened to be my right shift key. i tried to follow your directions on how to put it back on but i dont see an x shaped part...i did have a little rectangular piece come off as well though. i wasnt sure if there was a way to pop the key back on or if i would have to send it in to get replaced. please help!

1 Message

December 4th, 2007 14:00

I followed your instructions (more or less) and it went right back on! Thanks.
No Events found!