Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

March 19th, 2008 16:00

Inspiron E1705 will power on for about 5 seconds then goes off

Hi, I really, really, really need help on this one. I am pretty savvy at fixing things and have a basic knowledge of computers. My Inspiron E1705 will come on for about 5 seconds when I press the power button, then makes a clicking noise and turns off. The same thing happens when I plug the AC power adapter into the laptop without the battery in. I have a solid green light on my AC adapter and the battery light is currently charging in trickle mode. I do not hear anything really starting up inside the computer when I press the power on button or when it goes off after 5 seconds. If anyone can PLEASE help I would greatly appreciate it!

Does that mean the motherboard is probably bad? Is it worth fixing or should I just by a new laptop?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If it won't power up with either a charged battery or the AC adapter, you've got a bad system board.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Yes, it's the system board - your call as to whether to repair or replace.  The boards costs $300+, but a new 17" notebook of the same level will cost quite a bit more than that.

1 Message

March 20th, 2008 20:00

The same thing happened with my Inspirion E1505 a few weeks ago. I thought it was the adapter but it turned out that one of the memory chips had gone bad. I replaced one of the RAM chips for less than a $100and it worked great. My adapter was dead as well so I'm not sure if there was a cause and effect. Good luck!-Amy

1 Message

March 22nd, 2008 16:00

My daughter's inspiron 6000 is exhibiting similar problems.  After pressing the power button the three lock indicators (9,A, and down arrow) to the left of the power button light up green for abuout 5 seconds and the fan starts but the laptop quickly shuts off (while attempting to boot with either battery or AC power).  I tried removing and replacing the battery and turning it on with the FN and F keys, with no success.  Any suggestions for trouble shooting a solution?  Thanks in advance for your time. 
No Events found!