Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2013 15:00

Inspiron N4110 keeps restarting continously at Dell logo screen

When I turn the laptop on it gets to the Dell logo screen then screen goes black with  a cursor in top left corner but then it restarts again.

Regardless if the F2 or F12 keys are selected or not, the systems restarts again. This cycle continues indefinately until I turn it off.

I have replaced the memory stick (brand new), the hard drive (brand new), the motherboard (used from ebay), and the processor (used from ebay) and still the same thing. I have tried it without the cd drive installed and same thing. I have tried it without the battery installed but with the power supply and same thing. I have tried turning it on with the windows disk in the cd rom drive and same thing. I am very fustrated to say the least. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2K Posts

July 22nd, 2013 21:00

Hi onebadmust,

Request you to use the below link and run hardware diagnostics:

http://dell.to/YQ0c54

Make a note of the error code (if any).

Do reply with your answers.

10 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 09:00

When either the F2 or F12 or 0 keys are selected at the Dell logo screen a cursor appears in the top left corner for a few seconds then the computer restarts and cycles back to the Dell logo screen. This cycle continues over and over. Therefore, I never am able to get to the boot menue to run diagnostics.

2K Posts

July 24th, 2013 02:00

Hi onebadmust,

Request you to hold the FN key and try turning on the computer. This will initiate the diagnostics and then you may refer the link provided by me in the previous response for further steps.

10 Posts

July 24th, 2013 05:00

Reacts the same way when the F2 and F12 keys are selected. The screen goes blank with a cursor in the top left corner for a few seconds then the computer restarts and cycles through the Dell logo screen.

2K Posts

July 24th, 2013 23:00

Hi onebadmust,

There is a possibility that memory modules/ keyboard/ hard drive might have failed. Request you to try following the below steps which might help:

(1) Remove all the memory modules and try turning on the computer. Then insert each module at a time and try turning on the computer.

(2) By following the above steps we may check if any memory module is failed.

(3) Then you may try connecting an external keyboard and try doing a hardware diagnostics.

You may use the below link for the manual to remove memory modules:

http://dell.to/16bVWOh

Then you may use the below link and check warranty status:

http://dell.to/12Bz4Il

If the computer is out of warranty you may contact the out of warranty repairs team on 18002884410 (U.S only). They can help you.

If the computer is in warranty do send me the system service tag via private message. I will check and see what can be done.

To send a private message, click on my user name and select start conversation.

10 Posts

July 25th, 2013 12:00

As I said before, I had already replaced the memory modules with no results. However, I did find the problem this morning by accident and a little insight from you. My plan was to use a stand alone USB keyboard and when I inserted in the side USB port it did not go in all the way. A closer inspection revealed it was missing the plastic insert inside of the USB connector that the prongs fit into. Anyways, as soon as I inserted the USB cord into the port the computer went past the Dell logo screen and booted to windows as normal. I then shut the computer down and restarted it without the USB cord inserted into the USB port and it again stopped at the Dell logo screen and kept restarting. I then inserted the USB cord back into the USB port and the computer booted up normally. So long story short, the side USB port is faulty and I will have to replace the Input/Output board that piggy backs onto the motherboard. Hope this helps someone else out. Thanks a lot for your advice.

2K Posts

July 25th, 2013 21:00

Hi onebadmust,

It is good to know that we now know the cause of issue. Request you to try following the below steps for USB port not working:

(1) Try connecting different USB devices in the USB port and check if it works.

(2) You may also try connecting the devices to different ports to see if it works.

(3) Then click on start.

(4) Type device manager and select it.

(5) In the device manager screen, detect USB device driver and then right click on it uninstall.

(6) Now restart the computer and check if it works.

If none of the above steps work and if just one of the port is failed then you may check the warranty status my previous response for a link. Then you may follow the instructions mentioned below that to get it replaced.

July 15th, 2014 08:00

I'm having the exact same issue. Do you have any suggestions?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 15th, 2014 09:00

Hold the D key at powerup and boot to the Dell diagnostics - run an extended hard drive test.

July 15th, 2014 11:00

The system keeps restarting even when I hold it down. Any other suggestions? 

10 Posts

July 15th, 2014 12:00

Refer to my fix….check all your usb ports. Try inserting any usb cord into each of the ports prior to state-up. Do this for each usb port to see if one is defective. It worked for me.

July 15th, 2014 13:00

I tried connecting a USB mouse to all three USB ports on the system with no luck. Might there be an issue with another port? Any commands that work?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 15th, 2014 13:00

Unplug the system, remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove and reinstall both memory modules and try booting on AC only.  If it will boot, install the battery.  If it then won't, you have a bad battery.

If you still get nothing, try one memory module at a time in each socket until you isolate the bad module or bad socket.

If still nothing, try booting with no hard drive installed.  If you can get to a BIOS prompt (F2 at powerup), the hard drive is likely bad.

If you still get nothing, the mainboard is bad.

10 Posts

July 15th, 2014 18:00

I don't think that any commands or button presses will work. If I would bet, you have a bad input/output board whether internal to the board or an external port on this board. My two cents anyways.

1 Message

September 11th, 2014 13:00

Thank you so much for this. I spent all day taking out modules, then taking the battery in and out, and trying to run diagnostics when this was the problem from the start. This is the first thing people should look for and try. You are a lifesaver and I hope this helps someone else out.

No Events found!