Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 3rd, 2013 16:00

Inspiron N5010 won't power on from power cord, but will power up from battery

My daughter's Dell Inspiron N5010 is about 2 years old.  It stopped charging the battery when plugged in with the power cord, and it will not operate at all from the power cord alone.  I have replaced both the power jack board and the keyboard with no change.  There appears to be a solid connection between the power jack and the motherboard.  Thoughts on why this is happening and how to correct?  Thanks.

119 Posts

May 9th, 2013 18:00

the mosfet PU4502  is shorted Mr Kingswood_151 and need to be replaced but after confirmation of its measurment out of motherboard

I advise you to call or to visit a DELL office near to you Mr Kingswood_151

May 3rd, 2013 16:00

PS - I have also tried two different power cords which operate properly on other computers.

2.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 18:00

Hi Kingswood_151,

Welcome to the Community.

As you mentioned that the system is not powering on after trying good known power adapter, it seems to be an issue with the system board.

Also, did you replace any internal component of the system?

Inspiron™ N5010 / 15R system LEDs
There are 3 LEDs in front of the system.
LED (Power Source; Battery Charge) Off/Hibernate (S5/S4) Standby (S3) On (S0)
Power button LED (All; 0-100% charge) Off Breathing White Solid White
Front edge power LED (All; 0-100% charge) Off Breathing White Solid White
Front edge battery charge LED (Dell AC adapter; >98% charge) Off Off Off
Front edge battery charge LED (Dell AC adapter; <=98% charge) Solid White Solid White Solid White
Front edge battery charge LED - Also applies when adapter is plugged in but battery charge is disabled (Battery; <=10% charge) Off Solid Amber Solid Amber
Front edge battery charge LED - Also applies when adapter is plugged in but battery charge is disabled (Battery; >10% charge) Off Off Off
HDD LED Off Off Illumination in white when active.
Camera LED (All sources; 0-100% charge) Off Off Solid White when streaming data.

Also, let me know if you get any diagnostic LEDs on the system when you turn on the system.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

May 3rd, 2013 21:00

Hi Manshu,

I did swap out the original hard drive for an SSD about a year ago.  Things were operating normally after that replacement.  No other hardware changes to the original machine other than the power board and keyboard I did today trying to fix the issue.

When I boot off the battery:

- Power light is solid white

- HDD light is white when accessing the drive

- Battery light is solid amber (it only has 7% battery left and I have no way to charge it)

Plugging in the AC power cord has no impact on the machine -- it will not start, all lights are off, there is no charging light (assuming the battery is in the machine.)

No diagnositic LEDs or notices when booting from the battery -- asside from a low battery indicator it will boot fine from the battery.

Thanks.

119 Posts

May 4th, 2013 06:00

Hi,

first verify that the power jack is well  soldering ( no dry )

after check the adapter switch mosfet is ok or no

and please tell us the value of volts in drain, source, gate

please look to this schematic

http://img1.imagilive.com/0513/04-05-2013_13-15-36.png

119 Posts

May 4th, 2013 06:00

PU4502 is the adapter switch mosfet i mean

May 4th, 2013 14:00

Thanks Take I Easy.

The power jack is well soldered.  I also checked the volts coming off the power jack and they are 19.7.

On PU4502 with the battery only connected all readings are 10.6 volts.  On PU4502 with the power jack only connected, all readings are 0.5 volts.  Note that I have two power jack boards (an old one and a new one) and both are not able to turn the computer on.

The connection between the power jack board and the motherboard appears to be solid, and all soldering at the connection point also appears to be solid.

Any thoughts why the volts would be so low from the power jack when measured at the PU4502?

Thanks.

119 Posts

May 4th, 2013 18:00

please i want details

i mean when you connect the ac jack what is the value of volts in :

drain ; ......V

source ;  ...... V

gate ;......V

May 4th, 2013 20:00

When connected to the AC jack:

Drain: 0.5 V

Source: 0.5 V

Gate: 0.5 V

Thanks.

May 13th, 2013 07:00

Thank you Take It Easy.  I appreciate you time and effort in responding.

No Events found!