Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2014 08:00

Inspiron N5050 Problem Starting Windows

Hello Everyone,

I am having trouble with my Inspiron N5050 Laptop starting windows. When I attempt to power up my computer, it hangs up for a long time after the Dell image screen. It displays "Starting Windows" text and after a while will show the Windows Icon image. Eventually it will boot but is so slow that it is unusable.

I did some research and held the F8 key while booting, selected the Repair Your Computer option. I was kicked into a screen that said "Windows encountered a problem with a device connected to your computer." and it said something about a removable storage device or a faulty hard drive or CD Rom.  Status: 0xc00000e9  Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

I don't have any devices plugged in, so I am suspecting a Hard Drive issue. Can anyone provide me further assistance please?

Dave

Thank You for the help EJN63... I was afraid that was my problem.

Can you direct me to an affordable source for a notebook drive? will any 2.5" 7- or 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive work? Can it be installed by a first timer with good mechanical skills??

Also, will I need to obtain an original Windows 7 install disc? This laptop didn't come with an original.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Your hard drive is toast - you'll need a new, 2.5" 7- or 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 8th, 2014 09:00

You can buy a hard drive just about anywhere - Newegg.com, amazon, Staples, Best Buy, etc.

You will need a Windows recovery medium -- if you didn't make one when you received the system, you can contact Dell for one -- if the system is out of warranty, there will be a charge.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/476.2-0-requesting-a-microsoft-windows-reinstallation-cddvd-from-dell.aspx

I Ran the Diagnostic and received an immediate error code.

Error Code 2000-0151

Validation 2756

MSG. Hard Drive 0 - S/N WD - WX31EB1HRY59, Incorrect Status = 32

No additional Sense Information

and asks "Do you want to continue testing?"

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If you don't have a backup of your data, make one, NOW.

Then start up the system, press F12 at powerup, and boot to the Dell diagnostics.  Run an extended test on the hard drive (this will take about two hours).

No Events found!