Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2011 13:00

Inspiron N5110 Laptop internal speaker crackles

Hi

I got an Inspiron N5110 in June. Right-hand internal speaker has had an intermittent crackle and sound distortion. It occurs at higher sound frequencies, ie certain parts of music or speech files - but is reproducible with the Dell Diagnostic program provided with the laptop. Seems to be confined to right-hand speaker.

Dell support have been very helpful - both by phone and two site visits - but problem is not sorted despite speaker and motherboard replacement. 

Problem is reduced using a generic windows sound driver, but I think that is only because the generic driver has a narrower frequency range than the Dell driver.

I'm inclined to think its a spec mis-match - i.e. the speakers are not able to deal with the range of output from the audio card, but cant understand why it seems to be confined to the rigtht-hand speaker, and this remained the case after the Dell tech had replaced teh speakers twice and the motherboard once!

I'd be interested to hear any comments - or solutions - and if anyone has had a similar problem. If its a case of underspecced speakers, then there should be more instanfces of the problem.

Thanks.

Silverast

8 Posts

August 25th, 2011 15:00

got the same bug...i don know what to do with it. I've tried disabling srs and changing equalizer but invain

September 10th, 2011 08:00

maybe you have something in the audio options in it maybe something is confleting with the audio card or the vga mine was having like that but i was having nvidia

3 Posts

November 10th, 2011 17:00

I also have a similar issue. My speakers do not crackle, but they rattle at high frequencies. Sometimes the left speaker will just turn off at certain frequencies. I do not believe anything is wrong with the speaker or the motherboard because the speaker works fine most of the time! 

Dell please help us!

Thanks!

9 Posts

March 23rd, 2012 21:00

Is there any solution to this ?

I got the same problem with my Inspiron N5110 15R. For me its the left hand side builtin speaker from which I could hear the crackling/rattle sound, and its really annoying, so no pleasure to play any music. Tried different players as well.

1 Message

April 5th, 2012 22:00

Hi there. I have had the same problem and I purchased my laptop circa early August 2011. Browsing through a couple of forums I assume that this problem seems to correspond with much of that 'batch'. My problem was identical (however it was persistent is both speakers and stops when I use  a pair of headphones or external speakers) 

I un-installed the IDT drivers, restarted and it seems to be solved so to those who are having a similar problem, its worth a try. 

I am not sure if the audio quality is now lowered as I can't utilise the SRS Premium Sound. I didn't observe it well enough to make a comparison.  

2 Posts

June 13th, 2013 16:00

Im having the same problem. Anybody have their issue resolved?

1 Message

July 24th, 2013 12:00

Hi you can try this for me it worked:

Right click on the ‘speaker / headphones tab (located in your tray)

Select sound

Box Opens.

Click on playback tab

Right click on the speaker / headphones

Properties

Box Opens.

Advance

Default format needs to be changed to 24bit 192000hz studio quality.

August 30th, 2013 23:00

Hi 

I am kiran i had brought dell inspron 15r n5110 from japan. but by default one of my speaker inbuilt had been damaged gives blurry noise sound on play.

my warranty was expired now helpless.

regards

kiran

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 31st, 2013 04:00

Hello Kiran. I suspect that there was a bad batch of speakers that went into those N5110 models.

> Have you listened through headphones and determined that the sound is normal at the headphone jack?

> Have you tried re-installing the IDT audio driver?

If you are sure that the speaker is truly damaged and you want to fix it, the only solution is to replace the speakers. You can take the laptop to any competent computer repair shop to have the work done, or you can do it yourself if you are handy with a screwdriver.

If you need the Service Manual for your Inspiron 15R N5110, it is here. Click on the "more languages" button to have the manual in the language of your choice. The Service Manual shows you how to dis-assemble the laptop and how to replace the speakers. It is a simple process for a person experienced with working in laptop computers, but not a quick process because most of the laptop must be dis-assembled in order to get to the speakers. You can buy replacement speakers from a variety of sources. This is an example.

I suspect that there was a bad batch of speakers that went into those N5110 models. If that is what happened then there are probably still bad speakers on the market. I don't know if there is a way to test replacement speakers before putting them in the laptop.

No Events found!