Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 11th, 2016 01:00

Inspiron N5110 Memory Test failure

Hi Dell community,

my laptop recently runs slower as usual and i after readíng some topics in the forum, i ran some hardware tests.

Unfortunatly as you can see in the fotos below there is a memory test failure.

Would a replace of the memory solve the problem?

Any suggestions?

Fotos:

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 11th, 2016 07:00

Test the memory modules one at a time. If one fails, move it to the other socket.  If one module fails in both sockets, replace that module with a  new one.  If both modules fail in a single socket, it's the socket that's bad - replace the mainboard.

5 Posts

September 14th, 2016 02:00

Thank you for the answer. I tested the memory modules as you described. One of the modeles is defect and i will replace it. Generally the laptop is running very slow and overheating. A new windows installation and a format of the harddrive didn't help. I will try cleaning the fan.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 14th, 2016 04:00

Given the extensive disassembly needed to clean the fan (the mainboard has to come out), and given the position of the hard drive (it's mounted to the underside of the mainboard), you may want to consider replacing the drive and the thermal pads between the CPU, GPU and heatsinks while you're in there - the drive is getting up in age and the pads do dry out -- and the labor required to replace either of those is the same as it will be to clean the heatsink/fan assemblies.

5 Posts

September 14th, 2016 06:00

You mean to replace the hard drive with a new one and putting some thermal paste between the CPU, GPU and heatsinks?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 14th, 2016 07:00

Yes.  In essence it's like changing the timing belt in a car - it's usually best to change the tensioners and water pump at the same time.  The added parts cost is small relative to the labor investment you're already making.

5 Posts

September 14th, 2016 07:00

I see. But why do I need to replace the Hard Drive? The Test show that it is not defect.

Will this change the speed of the laptop?

Which hard drive will you recommend?

5 Posts

September 14th, 2016 11:00

What do I actually need. A thermal paste or a thermal pads?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 14th, 2016 16:00

Either will work.  When you see where the hard drive is located, and consider most drives last 3-5 years at best - you may want to change the drive (or if it's performance you're looking for, replace the hard drive with a solid state drive).

No Events found!