Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 18th, 2014 11:00

Inspiron N5110: Replacing HD w/ SSD

After getting an error message "PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Check Cable" -I'm finding I can no longer get my laptop to boot up.

This problem had been ongoing for the past few months, sometimes it would boot up (and any number of power-off/power-on attempts). Until today when I tried a bunch of times...  It would just never boot up without going to that error screen.

I've already checked the boot options and that is/was as it should be.  Also, whenever it wouldn't boot up - you could hear the HD clicking.  This same clicking sound would occur just before it would crash.

So, with ^that - I figured I might as well try to upgrade to a SSD.

I have made a back-up of my system and also made a repair disc.

If I can do this / if it's possible: which SSD could I purchase to replace the one I currently have (a Samsung, SATA, 1000 GB - & I could probably get by with half that many GBs)? 

How would I go about restoring / transferring the OS to the SSD? (if asking more than 1 question is frowned upon - I can start a new topic).

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 19th, 2014 04:00

If you have made a full image backup and boot DVD, yes - that will work to restore the system as long as the SSD you purchase is larger than the image you're restoring.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 18th, 2014 14:00

You install the OS to the SSD the same way you do with a hard drive - you're going to need the backup install media you created when you received the system.  If you didn't make that, you can contact Dell to purchase backup media (it'll cost $40).

The toughest part of this is that the hard drive is difficult to replace in this model - the mainboard has to come out of the system, meaning it has to be totally disassembled to access the drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0OM7cothHU

3 Posts

April 18th, 2014 23:00

I did find a service manual online.  The hardest part was removing the Touch Pad (area).

"...you're going to need the backup install media you created when you received the system.  If you didn't make that, you can contact Dell to purchase backup media (it'll cost $40)."

I know I didn't make any kind of back-up when I first got the system, but I did make a back-up for a system restore to an external HD, as well as a Repair disc (burned to a DVD)....  Will those work?  Or is that something different from a 'media install' (disc?)?

Or is the "Media" essentially the OS?

3 Posts

April 19th, 2014 08:00

Thanks for your reply.

I was going to ask if there would be compatibility issues since I'm putting a SATA iii SSD onto a SATA i mobo...  But I see on the product page, and instructions for the SSD I'm planning on getting that that won't be an issue...  Just a bit slower on the Gb/second data transfer.  :-)

No Events found!