Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2014 13:00

Inspiron N5110 Screen Freeze on Startup

My Inspiron N5110 will not start.  When I turn it on, the display sometimes comes on and then immediately distorts with static lines and then freezes.  Most of the time the computer turns on but nothing displays on the screen and it just starts beeping.  I tried running diagnostics on startup but could never get to the point where I could select anything.  The screen just freezes.

I assume this is hardware but what else can I do to test?

Thanks!

615 Posts

January 26th, 2014 21:00

Preface: Before you proceed it will be helpful for me to understand what beeps and what pattern you were experiencing prior to this screenshot.

No unfortunately that isn't the CMOS battery...under any circumstances. I blew this image up to see if the Date/Time stamp in the lower right would provide any info but I couldn't read it. When the Date/Time in the lower right of screen is not correct you almost certainly have a failed CMOS battery since windows time is RTC time...among other symptoms...that would just be the most obvious. This isn't what's happening here.

What this image shows me is a hardware problem. Here's the service manual ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-15r-n5110_service%20manual_en-us.pdf. You will have an easier time using it if you save the PDF and then open it in Adobe Reader. If you don't already have it you can download free from http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Before you get started tell me about the beeps you heard. how many...what pattern. I don't think we ever did clear that up. That real specific info will help get us pointed in the right direction.

Beyond that, and not knowing what the beeps were... If this were my PC I'd open it up and as a precaution rule out processor seat by re-seating it. If you do that, make sure to read the preliminary precautions in the manual and have a tube or cylinder of thermal transfer compound handy. Order online or pretty much anywhere that sells electronics and computers has it in stock usually for less than $12.00 USD.

You may find a reply that turns up in this thread (it happens a lot) where someone tells you "don't do that...processor and graphics are unrelated." I'll encourage you to PROCEED with whatever you're comfortable doing. Be aware that every step you take rules out one more thing that could be wrong and the processor is implicated in every task your computer performs.  If you have an extended warranty of course CALL DELL FIRST!  If not, you now have the service manual. and if it's something that requires no parts and no special tools you will have saved a small fortune. Lastly, if it turns out that re-seating the processor solves this image problem please let me know so I can take it back to the team. GOOD LUCK and don't hesitate to contact if you need further assistance.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 28th, 2014 08:00

Yes, it can.  Remove the battery, unplug the system and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove and reinstall both memory modules - that may be enough to clear up the problem.

615 Posts

January 26th, 2014 14:00

Hi Spuyear,

This post is an odd one, in that the solution seems to be verified twice as "replacing the CMOS (coin) battery" BUT it is my experience that a dead CMOS battery just results in loss of RTC (Real Time Clock) and BIOS settings that are adjusted away from default. That is not to say this answer isn't correct ...just that it's different from the one I would have provided...and for less than $10 a CMOS battery is a pretty inexpensive solution. here's a link to the thread. Give it a look and see if it helps and if so...please get back to me so I'll be able to share this solution in the future. Thanks! and GOOD LUCK.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19411823.aspx

Also note there is Beep Code chart provided by a Dell Support Agent further down in the thread of that link.

4 Posts

January 26th, 2014 19:00

Thanks for the reply N7U.  I was able to get to the diagnostics screen today but the computer froze during the test.  Below is what it looked like when it happened.  Could this also be the CMOS battery?

Thanks!

4 Posts

January 28th, 2014 08:00

I rebooted the machine last night and Windows 7 started but the time was an hour off.  That seemed to resolve itself soon but the display started to distort again as in the pictures in the post.  Then the display completely froze and a pattern of 4 beeps started every 10 seconds ago.  

The reference you shared shows 4 beeps as a memory failure but that does not seem related to a display issue.  Would a memory failure cause the display to distort, get staticy and then freeze?

Thanks again!

615 Posts

January 28th, 2014 13:00

As ejn63 states. This simple answer is yes, memory failure of any kind can have a broad range of symptoms including the one you're having. That doesn't explain why the date/time would lose 30 mins of time.

Here's what I suggest.

After you've followed the R&R steps described in ejn63's reply, run the Preboot Diagnostic by tapping F12 during boot up and selecting it from the menu list (usually the last option on the menu) when it comes to Memory a couple of things will happen. 1st) it will take a quick look at hardware 2nd) It will perform an address CAS and RAS (column access strobe and random access strobe) "march" on the memory which will attempt to force a failure. When prompted to run the extended memory test select YES and go get some coffee with a buddy, This takes some time. When the test is complete you'll know more about whether or not there is a more serious memory problem than just the seating of modules. If results come back PASS. Your golden! If you need to do a more in depth test you can either look online for MemTest86, and select the 64 bit edition or let me know and I can help you with those resources. GOOD LUCK!

When this process is complete we'll take a closer look at the need or lack of need to change out the CMOS battery...it's a pretty in-depth process so you don't want to do it when unnecessary. 

4 Posts

January 29th, 2014 19:00

Thanks to you both.  The issue was a bad memory module.  I had two installed and one of the two was bad.  I reinstalled the good one and all is working well.  Thanks again for your help!

No Events found!