Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

February 18th, 2014 18:00

Inspiron N5110 getting disk error

Hi: My Inspiron stopped working one day when I found

out it won't power up. Called Dell tech support who advised

the fn key + power button trick but that did not work.

Tried booting from OS on external drive and it came up.

Took the hard drive out and tried reading it on another

machine.

Found it has become raw drive. Reformatted in another win 7 machine and found the disk working fine.

Put it back on Inspiron. Then tried to reload windows 7 64-bit  through DVD drive, but kept getting

'Disk read error .. hit Ctrl alt delete to restart'.

That did not work. Checked the internal connections,

reseated the hard drive and tried again. Same error.

Tried to get to F2 or F12 right after logo screen but was unsuccessful. I don't have the resource disk. I had downloaded the OS from microsoft link (i have product key) and created dvd disk using ImgBurn.

Tried the driver and utilities disk also but that didn't work either.

What should I do? Any help you can provide ..thanks very much in advance.  Really frustrating! Of course past the warranty but this machine is only a little over 2 years old!!

10 Posts

February 18th, 2014 19:00

Holding delete key during boot did not take to Dell diagnostics either.

If the hard disk was bad how come I could write and read it well on another machine...

10 Posts

aybe a naive question.. is the disk error for the hard disk or for the bootable DVD? Should I suspect the DVD drive since the ImgBurn seems to be successful repeatedly and I can read the DVD disk on another machine? (although the drive was working fine earlier...).

Does this machine allow booting from a flash drive?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Hold the D key when booting - it'll take you to the Dell diagnostics.  You've pretty much identified a bad hard drive you'll need to replace, but the diagnostics will confirm it.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 19th, 2014 04:00

Re-read above - hold the D key (NOT delete).  That will trip the diagnostics.

It's not your DVD drive that's suspect - everything you've posted points to a bad hard drive.

10 Posts

February 19th, 2014 08:00

Thanks. Tried with D key during boot, with

and without OS disk in DVD drive.

Same disk error.

You are suspecting a bad drive in spite of the drive

working on another machine... OK..

I will take the drive out and run diagnostics on it on another machine. And try with a different drive on the Inspiron.

I hope its not a hw connection problem.

BTW, is there a way to bypass disk diagnostics and boot from DVD drive?

(since the hard drive is just a formatted empty disk sitting indidr).

Thanks for all the help.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 19th, 2014 09:00

Disconnect the hard drive and hold the D key at boot.  If you don't get to the diagnostics that way, you've likely a bad mainboard.

If you can, it's the hard drive that's bad.

10 Posts

February 20th, 2014 10:00

Thanks. That's what I went ahead for, next.

Disconnected the hard drive and held the D key at boot.

DIagnostics came up with error

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media ...

Inserted 64-bit Win7 OS DVD disk.. starting loading Windows 7..and then exited.

All that's great. Thanks very much.

Then I took the hard disk to another Windows 7 64-bit (HP) machine; connected externally using SATA adapter cable.

Ran disk diagnostics. .no errors in file systems, no errors in sector checks!

So, ... is it a bad disk or do I have a different hardware connection or component problem on the Inspiron? Does the above error msg tell me anything other than indirectly pointing to no hard disk in the machine?

I guess only way to probably verify that is to put another "good" hard disk in Inspiron and retry?

( One other data point - Interestingly, it's a 600 GB disk when I first formatted on HP and tried on Inspiron. Now back on HP, it is showing as 195 GB free space. Must have written some system files? to it during Inspiron boot attempts earlier when I was getting disk errors).

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 20th, 2014 10:00

Hard drive is toast - no sense wasting more time on it.  Replace it with a new one.

10 Posts

February 25th, 2014 17:00

Well.. here is the update.

I tried a different hard drive on my Inspiron.

OS came up fine on DVD, after managing to keep rebooting to move it to boot from the DVD drive (I still couldn't get the function keys to work). System kept giving the PXE error until I got it to boot from the DVD. This time it acknowledged the new hard drive. Downloaded, Windows came up etc. so everything was fine.

Except..  at the end of the reboot I realized that still the function keys not working on the keyboard. In fact, none of the keys were working on the keyboard!! That explained why i could not earlier get the function keys to work! It didnt explain why I was getting PXE error which apparently points to 'trying to boot from the network.. typically next to hard drive in boot priority'.

Anyway, with this information, I went back to my old hard drive. and viola.. it worked fine!! (I used the on-screen keyboard)

As I suspected earlier, it was not the hard drive hardware that was the culprit, something else that did not allow Windows to find the empty drive.

Question remaining is: is it just a bad keyboard (ribbon connector looks ok)?

If so, what is its role in preventing the empty hard drive to be recognized by the OS in the first place?

And, what are flavors of issues can dump a 'PXE error - check cable'?

I am going to order the keyboard anyway.. but still would appreciate anyone's help to answer the questions above.

Thanks!

10 Posts

March 8th, 2014 05:00

I guess non one yet has answers to my questions on the PXE Error. I will close this thread as I have a different thread pursuing the keyboard issue.

No Events found!