Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2009 06:00

Inspiron e1705 built-in card reader and Transcend microSDHC 4GB not working?

Hi,

My Inspiron e1705 Windows XP sp2 has been working great for a long time. I can easily read standard 1GB SD cards in its SD card reader. Recently I purchased a Transcend microSDHC 4GB card which came with its microSD adapter (the microSDHC slides in the adapter which looks like a standard SD card). When I insert this into e1705, the laptop does not recognize the SD card. There is no error message, no bwa-weep (USB) sound, nothing.

Transcend technical support says: 

Let me mentioned again. The adapter simply change the microSDHC card into the form of SD, however, it is still a SDHC card. What you want to make sure is that if your devices supports “SDHC” card. A device support SD cards (2GB or even 4GB) does not guarantee it support SDHC card.

Does anybody know what I need to do? Do I need to buy another microSDHC adapter/reader? Jeez!

Thx

Rob

17 Posts

February 20th, 2009 06:00

The Dell Inspiron e1705 has an SD reader slot which cannot read SDHC memory cards. I hit Walmart for a cheap 23-in-1 reader ($12.00 but on sale online for only $8.00, maybe they'll give me a refund?!) which works great. Very fast, too. Now my music and videos are all messed up due to MS Windows Media Player fighting with Real's player and the regular file system. Oh boy!

1 Message

March 7th, 2009 09:00

Article ID: 934428 - Last Review: February 15, 2008 - Revision: 3.2

Hotfix for Windows XP that adds support for SDHC cards that have a capacity of more than 4 GB

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428

1 Message

September 24th, 2012 18:00

Incorrect. Tested this on my own, this is a driver issue. I've run my 32GB SDHC Card on Windows XP, Windows 7 32-bit, and Windows 8 Preview Edition 32-bit on the machine, and only on XP did I have any issue. Pretty shoddy support considering that the newer Windows operating systems are able to detect better functioning drivers for it on their own. The updated drivers are downloadable here (EXE) and here (ZIP).

No Events found!