Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 26th, 2016 16:00

Inspiron i5559 - Three Questions

I bought a Dell i5559-3347SLV. It's an Inspiron 15.6" laptop, shown here: officedepot.com/.../Dell-Inspiron-15-Laptop-156- Screen/ I've had it for a week, and I pretty much like it for what it for what I'll be using it for. I've looked at both the User's Manual and the Service Manual, but, I've still got three questions:

1) When I close the lid, I notice that it doesn't close completely flush on the left side and partial left front. There's about a 3/16" to 1/4" gap (nearly two credit cards can fit in the gap), whereas the right side closes fairly flush. If I run my hand (not much pressure) from the back to the front of the left side of the lid when it's 'closed', the gap goes away and the whole lid is nice and flush. I don't know if this is worth exchanging for another laptop of the same model, or not. I think that the left hinge is just a little tighter than needed. Any opinions?

2) The machine starts up with the NumLock off. I haven't gone into the BIOS to see if I can change the default to ON, yet. However, when I do press the NumLock key to turn the number pad ON, I don't see any Fn key light up to indicate that it's on. The only thing that indicates that it's on is in the Hidden Icons box, for which you have to click to expand, and then if the NumLock is on, it contains a square box with the number '9'. Who wants to have to go thru that to see if NumLock is on?

3) Should the power button, which is round with a translucent, verticle stripe dividing it in half, light up when when power is on, or turn orange when sleeping or in screen saver mode?

TIA

May 28th, 2016 11:00

ejn63

If #1 is bothersome, have the system replaced -- particularly if the hinge shows any sign of binding.

On #2 and #3, there are no LEDs to indicate the num lock status, nor is there a light on the power button - the only LED on these is at the front edge of the system (indicates charging status).  There is no HDD LED on these, either.

#1, no binding, but think I'll exchange due to cosmetics

#2, thank you for all that

#3, have found that BIOS was set to NumLock ON as default, nonetheless, I turned OFF, and then back ON, but still no luck; I will pursue

Thanks again.

I exchanged it for another laptop (same model) yesterday.  This one closes perfectly flush.  I can tell by comparison to this new one that the hinge(s) were too tight on the first one.  On this new one, when I close the lid, it's stiff until the last inch or so, and then it closes the rest of the way by itself.  With the first one, I had to push it shut all the way, and then some.

This is my 13th laptop over the years (9 Dells), and they all closed flush.  I wonder why I even questioned this one.

Numlock on this second laptop seems to work (remains enabled across POSTS).

Thanks for the reply.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 26th, 2016 16:00

If #1 is bothersome, have the system replaced -- particularly if the hinge shows any sign of binding.

On #2 and #3, there are no LEDs to indicate the num lock status, nor is there a light on the power button - the only LED on these is at the front edge of the system (indicates charging status).  There is no HDD LED on these, either.

May 26th, 2016 18:00

#1, no binding, but think I'll exchange due to cosmetics

#2, thank you for all that

#3, have found that BIOS was set to NumLock ON as default, nonetheless, I turned OFF, and then back ON, but still no luck; I will pursue

Thanks again.

No Events found!