Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2013 10:00

Inspiron n7010 failure to turn on

I have had my computer for about 3 years and about 6 months ago I had a spill on my computer where it would not turn on after the spill. I took the computer to a shop and they said it had no wliquid damage and then replaced my ac port for the charger. It worked great other than all the ports on the left side failed to work. I was running it with only two usb ports. Then last month it stopped working completly so once again i took it to a shop. The guy said it was the power button itself was shorted out. He replaced that then it worked okay the day i got it home then the next day it would not turn on. I tried everything I tried it with the battery, without the battery. I took it back and it seemed to work at the shop and he gave me a different charger. I got it home and it worked that night then it stopped the next day. It now flashes the third led light which is the battery light. It flashes orange. I even tried without the battery so it should work then. I noticed yesterday that if it charges for a long time the computer becomes very hot but then seems to turn on. Is it a weird heat sink problem, motherboard problem, or another ac /battery problem? please help!!

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

July 18th, 2013 20:00

Hi marvinmarvinson,

I am sorry about the situation. Since the system is overheating, I recommend you to clean the air vents with a can of compressed air. Also update BIOS from the link below:

http://dell.to/13oatYr

Note: While flashing BIOS connect the Ac adapter and make sure the battery has minimum 15% charge as this needs uninterrupted power supply. Do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop.
Let me know if the system still overheats afer BIOS update.

Please run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system. To run diagnostics restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F12 key every two seconds. This will start the One-time boot menu. Using arrow keys select ‘Diagnostics’ and hit enter. This will run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system which may take around 5 minutes. Please reply to this post in case of any error message.  Please refer to the following link as well:

http://dell.to/OUGnqT

July 19th, 2013 08:00

thank you. The battery shouldnt matter if I'm running on just the ac without a battery though right? It's weird the computer does run hot but it has always ran hot . The computer has never had a problem with freezing until now. I have done some research that if the air vents were bad it would cause freezing but also would shut the systemm off is this true? the computer has never shut down on its own. It will only turn on when it does get hot and i take the battery off.

July 20th, 2013 14:00

thank you. The battery shouldnt matter if I'm running on just the ac without a battery though right? It's weird the computer does run hot but it has always ran hot . The computer has never had a problem with freezing until now. I have done some research that if the air vents were bad it would cause freezing but also would shut the systemm off is this true? the computer has never shut down on its own. It will only turn on when it does get hot and i take the battery off.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

July 21st, 2013 23:00

Hi marvinmarvinson,

I would like to know if you performed the steps I suggested in the previous post.

No Events found!