Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 2nd, 2009 22:00

Insprion 1525 Ram Upgrade-Installed 4GB but it is only showing 2GB

This is a 1525 with Vista 32 bit. This isn't a problem with the operating system. The bios is showing 2gb is dual channel mode(It looks to be that they are detected as  1GB  sticks) 

I ordered Kingston Value Ram from newegg. I made sure it was DDR2 5300

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134549

The 2GB is showing up in the bios, but there is actually 4GB installed.

How do I get the bios to detect the other 2 GB? I know the operating system will only recognize the 3.2 gb,  so I'm not worried about that.

11 Posts

March 4th, 2009 02:00

Its fixed!

I popped one of the sticks out and turned it on. Then I turned it off, removed the battery, put the other chip in and turned it on. The 4GB was detected. This is my wifes laptop and she didn't have the SP1 installed on her Vista Home premium. I installed it and now all 4gb is showing up in Windows.

Awesome!!!!!! 

315 Posts

March 2nd, 2009 23:00

:^/ A check of Crucial.com shows that your laptop can operate with mis-matched memory sticks, or even with one memory socket empty.  It's possible that only one is seated correctly and is being detected.  I'd try removing each in turn and checking the total shown.  If one memory module isn't being detected, try removing it and wiping down the edge connector with a Q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol.  Try also cleaning the socket.

March 3rd, 2009 05:00

did you by chance get high density ram and your computer might only support low density modules? that can make only half of your ram show up

No Events found!