Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2011 13:00

Insprion 1720 is there room to add ram.

I have 2.00gb of ram installed on this computer. Is there space available to add another 2.00gb? This is a 32 bit system duo cpu.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 14th, 2011 17:00

You'll need to replace the 2 x 1GB with 2 X 2GB

90 Posts

December 19th, 2011 00:00

Or consider just purchasing a 2 gb stick and replace one of the 1 gb sticks you currently have.  With the 32 bit version of Windows, the most memory that can be used is actually only like 3.25 gb, so even if you buy a pair of 2 gb sticks, you won't get much more than 3 gb worth of performance.   Unless you upgrade your OS to 64 bit, that is.  It would sure be nice if Dell would ship with a single stick of  memory instead of forcing you to discard one good stick to upgrade.  Fortunately, my new Inspiron N7110 did come with a single 4 gb stick of ram and an empty slot, so I was able to "recycle" one of the 2 gb sticks that came out of my son's XPS15 that became available when we upgraded his to 2x4 gb.  I am not sure how much it helps, but I figure 6 gb is better than 4 gb.

(We both have 64 bit versions of Windows 7)

4.4K Posts

December 19th, 2011 00:00

Or consider just purchasing a 2 gb stick and replace one of the 1 gb sticks you currently have.  With the 32 bit version of Windows, the most memory that can be used is actually only like 3.25 gb, so even if you buy a pair of 2 gb sticks, you won't get much more than 3 gb worth of performance.   Unless you upgrade your OS to 64 bit, that is.  It would sure be nice if Dell would ship with a single stick of  memory instead of forcing you to discard one good stick to upgrade.  Fortunately, my new Inspiron N7110 did come with a single 4 gb stick of ram and an empty slot, so I was able to "recycle" one of the 2 gb sticks that came out of my son's XPS15 that became available when we upgraded his to 2x4 gb.  I am not sure how much it helps, but I figure 6 gb is better than 4 gb.

(We both have 64 bit versions of Windows 7)

You say one thing but then directly say that it is not true.  Go figure.
Any way, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

Intel Dual Channel memory - always install matched pairs of DIMMs

11 Posts

December 19th, 2011 07:00

Thanks for your reply. I believe I will stay with the 32 bit because of expense. However, your idea to just buy on 2gb stick and see if that works for my needs.

If that does not work I can add the other 2gb stick. Looks like after that I am looking at a new inspiron...

Thanks Again

4.4K Posts

December 19th, 2011 09:00

Thanks for your reply. I believe I will stay with the 32 bit because of expense. However, your idea to just buy on 2gb stick and see if that works for my needs.

If that does not work I can add the other 2gb stick. Looks like after that I am looking at a new inspiron...

Thanks Again

It will work, but you won't get the best performance out of the memory. 

The best performance will be attained you have a Matched pair of memory sticks. 
You will lose 10-25% in system performance by having different sticks.
Just wanted to let you know.

90 Posts

December 19th, 2011 19:00

If that is true, Bay Wolf, then why does Dell and other makers sell laptops and desktops with 3 or 6 gb of ram?  Meaning a 1 gb stick paired with a 2 gb stick, or a 4 gb stick paired with a 2 gb stick?  I understand that  dual channel memory does provide a boost, but doesn't the added memory that can be addressed provide a bigger boost than the dual channel with less total ram available?  That is what I was told, dual channel is good, but 50% additional memory is better.  Was I misinformed?

11 Posts

December 20th, 2011 16:00

Thanks for your help Bay Wolf

No Events found!