Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

August 10th, 2007 12:00

Install Windows XP on Dell XPS M1330

The Dell XPS M1330 is a great laptop but quite many of users like me can only use the Windows XP  since certain professional software can only run on XP and have no support on Vista.

I got my M1330 received on Aug 1 and had to install the XP on it anyway. I got it almost done but still have one driver issue. I would like to share my previous jobs done to save the time for other users having the same need. Also, I would like the community can help to resolve the remaining driver issue so that everybody can enjoy the M1330 with XP!  : )

Part I: Windows XP professional installation CD
Any Dell XP SP2 Pro installation CD for previous Dell models (what I used)
Advantage of using the Dell OEM XP CD is that it never ask for a CD-key and works prefectly  
Surely it is up to you to buy a new Windows XP installation CD from Microsoft and enter the CD-key.

Part II: Download XP drivers for M1330
From Dell's "Support & Download" website, choose "XPS 1330" and "Windows XP" for driver download:
1. R153997.EXE: Intel Mobile Chipset driver
2. R141246.EXE: Ricoh Memory Card(1394,SD,MMC,MS,xD) driver
3. R160323.EXE: Creative Laptop Integrated Webcam driver
4. R160320.EXE: Creative Laptop Integrated Webcam applications
5. R155586.EXE: Dell Touchpad, Pointing Stick driver
6. R155246.EXE: Broadcom-59XX Ethernet driver
7. R127314.EXE: Network-Wireless 335 Bluetooth Module driver

Note that certain important XP drivers for M1330 are missing in Dell's support site.
We need to download them from different sources instead:
1. Display driver:
NVIDIA-GeForce 8400M GS
nv_gfgo_101.34-2kxp32.exe

2. Audio driver:
SigmaTel HD Audio Codec-Driver: Exactly chipset is "SigmaTel STAC 9288 HD Audio Codec"
Note that I cannot find the matched XP driver for this though there are many Sigmatel 92XX drivers.
(Seems the STAC 9288 is a very new HD audio codec chip that only Vista driver is availiable)
[Raymond Aug 11, 2007]
Thanks for DELL-Jimmy P's great help :smileyvery-happy:
The R158235.EXE is the correct Dell official XP audio driver for M1330...

3. Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini card driver (if you are using the 802.11N wireless card)
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
V11.1.1.0_XP_DRIVERS.zip and V11.1.1.0_XP32-Application.EXE

4. Fingerprint scanner driver:
UPEK-TouchChip Fingerprint Coprocessor
2.6_package.zip

5. Serial ATA (SATA) driver
Intel SATA driver (important for XP2 to support SATA HDD)
7kim06ww.exe 

6. Microsoft UAA Bus driver for High Definition Audio CODEC support
Get the "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio CODEC"
XP patchs: B835221 WXP or B888111 WXPSP2, see Miscrosoft article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835221 (if your XP is not SP2)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111 (if your XP is already SP2)
The kb888111xpsp2.exe can actually downloaded from:

Message Edited by Raymond Cheung on 08-10-2007 09:04 PM

Message Edited by Raymond Cheung on 08-10-2007 09:04 PM

August 10th, 2007 13:00

Part III: Install Windows XP on M1330
Since in the beginning I didn't know whether I can successfully install the XP SP2 pro on M1330,
I made a decision to buy a new 160GB SATA HDD to install the Windows XP on M1330 so that I can preserve my Vista HDD.

You can make you choice to (1) Buy a new HDD, (2) GHOST the entire HDD, (3) Directly install XP into your Vista HDD (take you own risk that cannot completely recovery your Vista).

Step 1: Modify M14330 BIOS setting
Since XP SP2 installation CD doesn't support SATA HDD at that moment, we need to disable M1330's SATA and set back to ATA mode for entire XP installation:
   1. Boot and press "F2" to enter BIOS setup menu
   2. Onboard Devices -> Flash Cache Module: Change to "Enabled" to "Off"
   3. Onboard Devices -> SATA Opteration: Change from "AHCI" to "ATA"
   4. System -> Boot Sequence: Move "CD/DVD/CD-RW" item up to the top
   5. Press "ESC" and choose "Save/Exit" to save and exit BIOS

Step 2: Disk Partitioning and Install WinXP
Note: whenever staying in the BIOS menu, you can eject out / push in the installation CD
Partitioning the HDD accordingly to what you need, I partition my new HDD same as the Vista as I want to install the Dell MeidiaDirect in the XP too. My order for M1330 is 60GB for OS and remaining 100GB for data partition.

Insert the XP installation CD and boot from CD and partition the HDD according to your need.
Here is my HHD partition info:
   Partition 1: [C:] "OS"  [NTFS] 61440MB
   Partition 2: [D:] "DATAPART1" [NTFS] 86506MB
   Partition 3: [E:] "RECOVERY"  [NTFS] 2048MB
   Partition 4: [F:] "MEDIADIRECT" [FAT32] 2559MB

Install the XP as usual. If using the Dell XP SP2 Pro CD, it is no need to enter any CD-key.

Step 4: Install M1330 specific drivers on XP
Copy all the downloaded driver source into the M1330 via a USB drive.
Install the driver one by one and reboot the system once and once as required...
Suggested driver installation order:
1. Intel Mobile Chipset driver
2. Ricoh Memory Card(1394,SD,MMC,MS,xD) driver
3. Display driver: NVIDIA-GeForce 8400M GS
4. R155586.EXE: Dell Touchpad, Pointing Stick driver
5. R155246.EXE: Broadcom-59XX Ethernet driver
6. R127314.EXE: Network-Wireless 335 Bluetooth Module driver
7. R160323.EXE: Creative Laptop Integrated Webcam driver
8. R160320.EXE: Creative Laptop Integrated Webcam applications

Step 5: Special handle of SATA driver
To install Intel 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller driver, execute kim06ww.exe to unpack the driver.
Run install.com in \PREPARE, it installs a small program in  c:\DRIVERS\WIN\IMSM\PREPARE and then run c:\DRIVERS\WIN\IMSM\PREPARE\install.cmd. Reboot the laptop.

Press "F2" to enter BIOS menu again, enable the "FLASH CACHE MODEL" and change "ATA" to "AHCI", remember to SAVE and exit BIOS. Reboot the laptop again.

Entering XP, the system will discover a new PCI hardware, browse the driver to the "7kim06ww" folder to install the actual SATA driver.

Step 6: Install the Microsoft UUA Bus driver patch to XP SP2
For XP to support UAA Bus driver for High Definition Audio CODEC, install the XP patche:
The kb888111xpsp2.exe can actually downloaded from:
After install this patch, you will see in Device Manage the following driver:
   "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio CODEC"

Message Edited by Raymond Cheung on 08-10-2007 09:59 AM

Message Edited by Raymond Cheung on 08-10-2007 09:05 PM

August 10th, 2007 14:00

Part IV: Install Dell utilities/applications
Some Dell applications can be installed onto M1330 successfully but some failes:
You may have you own choice to install which utilities you want.
However, what my concern are those failed-to-install important utitlities :
1. R151309.EXE:
    XP verson of Dell QuickSet from other Dell XP models failed to be installed on M1330
    The installation program just refuses to be installed onto M1330.
    I tried the M1330's Vista QuickSet but the installation refuses to be installed on M1330 XP OS.
    Without this, pressing the function keys like brightness, volume up/down, play/stop will not
    have any visual indication/feedback on XP but they are still working.
    Also the nice utility Wi-Fi Catcher(TM) Network Locator is missing.

2. R154000.EXE:
    XP verson of Dell Security-Broadcom-Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 from
    other Dell XP models failed to be installed on M1330.
    Seems the TPM installation program is checking the laptop's model and 
    just refuses to be installed onto M1330.
    Although the UPEK TouchChip Fingerprint Coprocessor driver is installed successfully,
    there is no use the Security program cannot be installed.

August 10th, 2007 14:00

Summary of problems of installing XP on M1330:
1. No correct XP driver for SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC STAC 9288 of M1330
2. No XP version of Dell Quckset can be successfully installed on M1330
3. No XP version of Dell Security-Broadcom-Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 can be installed

I posted out my previous works and hope this can help others like me to save some time to start.
Most important, I would like the community and some smart guys can help to resolve the remaining issues and benefit everybody who really want XP on M1330 laptop.

Waiting and Welcome for your solutions.... : )

August 10th, 2007 15:00

I add the download link for the Dell XP drivers below:
1. R153997.EXE: Intel Mobile Chipset driver
2. R141246.EXE: Ricoh Memory Card(1394,SD,MMC,MS,xD) driver
3. R160323.EXE: Creative Laptop Integrated Webcam driver
4. R160320.EXE: Creative Laptop Integrated Webcam applications
5. R155586.EXE: Dell Touchpad, Pointing Stick driver
6. R155246.EXE: Broadcom-59XX Ethernet driver
7. R127314.EXE: Network-Wireless 335 Bluetooth Module driver

Does this work properly with no issues with the GeForce 8400M GS?
Because in that website, it lists only the GeForce 8400M G video cards (no S)
[Raymond] I use it now and it works perfectly on supporting 1280x800 resolution, video out and dual desktops : )

One note to the installation of the Network-Wireless 335 Bluetooth Module driver,
You should make sure the Bluetooth is remains ON the last time in Vista before installing the XP.
Otherwise the Bluetooth is no way to be turned on in XP and be discovered as new hardware.
Luckly I kept my Vista SATA HDD and I swapped the HDD and turn on the Bluetooh and swapped back to XP SATA HDD to install the Bluetooth driver successfully :)

Message Edited by Raymond Cheung on 08-10-2007 11:50 AM

Thanks for this, Raymond. It should definitely help people like me.

I have one question...for the video drivers, you recommended:

NVIDIA-GeForce 8400M GS
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/NVIDIA/NVIDIA-ForceWare-GeFirce-Go-10134-WHQL.shtml
nv_gfgo_101.34-2kxp32.exe

Does this work properly with no issues with the GeForce 8400M GS?
Because in that website, it lists only the GeForce 8400M G video cards (no S)

Also, I noticed that R127314.EXE: Network-Wireless 335 Bluetooth Module driver is not present on that page...or is it?

Message Edited by thunderhead1 on 08-10-2007 11:30 AM

Further Info about "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODE" driver

Now I have all XP drivers installed onto M1330 ok except the "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODE" which has a yellow exclamation icon.

From original shipped Vista on M1330, the Device Manager shows that the hardware ID of the "SigmaTel  HD audio CODE" driver is:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01& VEN_8384& DEV_7616&SUBSYS_10280209&REV_1002
From the "Dell™ XPS™ M1330 Owner’s Manual":
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsm1330/en/om/RW4910P.pdf
Audio type:  5.1 channel High Definition Audio
Audio controller: Sigmatel STAC9228
Stereo conversion:24-bit (analog-to-digital and digital-toanalog)
Interfaces: Internal:Intel High Definition Audio
The audio chip is identified to be: Sigmatel STAC9228

I have tried almost all intenet availiable SigmaTel 92XX HDA dirvers for XP, checking the *.inf and *.ini file and there is no matched to the VEN_8384&DEV_7616 ID (seems represents vendor ID and device ID) so far.

Seems the one used in the M1330 is a newer hardware which only the Vista HDA driver was written so far for that particular hardware. As you can see from Vista control panel that it supports SigmaTel HDMI HD audio:
   Driver Provider: SigmaTel
   Driver Date:  10/5/2007
   Driver Version:  6.10.0.5515
Refer to the following SigmaTel driver download link:
http://www.x-drivers.com/component/option,com_remository/func,select/id,7674/
SigmaTel STAC9220/9221/9223/9228 HD Audio Vista Driver v.6.10.5290
SigmaTel STAC9228 STAC HD Audio Driver v.6.10.5362.0
Only Vista driver is found for the 9228 audio chip, no XP driver for 9228 is found so far

For those SigmaTel 92XX HDA dirvers for XP,  so far the lastest I found is:
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/sigmatel.htm (Version 6.10.5511 26/5/2007)
The driver's ID still not matched to DEV_7616 (It is DEV_7682 instead) and therefore it didn't work on M1330.

We here wants the community can push DELL and SigmaTel to publish the updated XP driver for this a bit newer SigmaTel HDA ODEC for M1330. Or some technical guys (may be those in SigmaTel) can release us the working XP driver for this.

August 10th, 2007 16:00

By the way, FYI this is an official response from Dell technical support for the audio drivers for Win XP:

"Thank you for choosing Dell. I would like to informed you that the system XPS 1330 is develop for Windows Vista only. At this moment we do not have the drivers for Windows XP yet. We are not sure that the US develop team will issue any drivers for WinXP."

So don't expect any developments in the near future.

August 10th, 2007 16:00

OK...thanks Raymond. Unfortunately, there's so such luck with audio drivers.

Anyway, I am thinking of an alternative plan (although it is not ideal for me, but I have no choice with the amount of problems Windows XP has right now, especially the fact that there's no audio).

I am thinking of retaining my Windows Vista Home Premium installation and leaving it untouched, and installing Windows XP Professional provided by my university on a new partition.

What do you say to this? Can you guide me on how to do this such that I can successfully dual boot the two OSes? If I install XP on a separate partition and then install all the XP related drivers, will it clash with the Windows Vista drivers?

Thanks for your help again.

One other thing: Are the drivers that you have listed all that I need for Windows XP? Or is there something else I need to download?

August 10th, 2007 17:00

For your idea of installing the XP on the new partition, I don't have such experience for Vista + XP dual booting. Very long time ago I tried dual booting the Win98 + Win2K working withoug probelm.
But seems at that time I needed to install an old OS version first then the new OS verion. Vice versa may not work for dual booting. 

Anyway, you can have a try. Rember to let your unitverity IT guy to "GHOST" the orignal Vista paritions first (C: OS, E:RECOVERY and the F:MEDIADIRECT).  In this way, you preserve your Vista safely even if XP cannot be installed as dual booting successfully.

If two OSes are installed on different partitions, they will not crash each other. Quite many Linux and Windows can be dual booted on a single deskop.

By the way, from other posts in Dell's forum, we already knows that Dell may not have much support on this topic. Actually the driver is releaed by the chipset vendor to the computer manufacturers. Hopefully the STAC 9288 is getting more popular on other coming laptop/desktop HW platforms. May be SigmaTel will release the XP driver to promote its chipset or other computer manufacturers behind request Sigmatel to support their HW platforms on XP.

That is why I post all my little works out and let more people try. May be some smart guys can really find out the remaining right driver for M1330 and share it out to benefit all XP users.

August 10th, 2007 17:00

Some notes to the XP drivers:
1. Basically all drivers needed by M1330 are included as mentioned above
     In the XP Device Manager, there is no further yellow exclamation icon except the audio. 
2. Hardware/peripherals failed to work on XP:
    i. Audio (Missing correct Sigmatel HDA driver)
    ii. HDMI (as related to the "Sigmatel HDMI HD audio output" utility I found in Vista)
    iii.Fingerprint (as Dell's XP version TPM 1.2 cannot be installed but driver is installed) 
3. Hardware/peripherals do not need extra driver and works on XP SP2 already:
    i. IR remove control
    ii.The touch-sense multimeida buttons (seems directly handled by the BIOS)
4. Hardware/peripherals not yet tested on XP (I think should be ok):
    i. CardExpress slot (since I don't have a CardExpress card, I only have old PCMCIA ones)
    ii. Firewire 1394 (since I don't have a firewire peripheral)

If some body has installed the XP accordingly, please tell everybody whether the CardExpress slot and the 1394 Firewire are wroking fine :smileywink:   

August 10th, 2007 20:00

Thanks. Does the M1330 come with a PCMCIA slot as standard configuration?

And I have another question:

In this step that you mentioned -

Step 1: Modify M14330 BIOS setting
Since XP SP2 installation CD doesn't support SATA HDD at that moment, we need to disable M1330's SATA and set back to ATA mode for entire XP installation:
1. Boot and press "F2" to enter BIOS setup menu
2. Onboard Devices -> Flash Cache Module: Change to "Enabled" to "Off"
3. Onboard Devices -> SATA Opteration: Change from "AHCI" to "ATA"
4. System -> Boot Sequence: Move "CD/DVD/CD-RW" item up to the top
5. Press "ESC" and choose "Save/Exit" to save and exit BIOS

Once the windows XP installation process is completed, assuming I still have windows vista preserved on another partition (i.e. dual boot), can I change these options back again?

Lastly -

You mentioned in one of the previous posts that these are the summary problems:
1. No correct XP driver for SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC STAC 9288 of M1330
2. No XP version of Dell Quckset can be successfully installed on M1330
3. No XP version of Dell Security-Broadcom-Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 can be installed

Also, in the next post, you said -

Now I have all XP drivers installed onto M1330 ok except the "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODE" which has a yellow exclamation icon.

Does that mean you have solved no. 2 and 3? (I want to know, because even I have a fingerprint reader and I really want dell quickset!)

Message Edited by thunderhead1 on 08-10-2007 04:46 PM

Message Edited by thunderhead1 on 08-10-2007 04:54 PM

1.5K Posts

August 10th, 2007 21:00

thunderhead1 wrote:
By the way, FYI this is an official response from Dell technical support for the audio drivers for Win XP:

"Thank you for choosing Dell. I would like to informed you that the system XPS 1330 is develop for Windows Vista only. At this moment we do not have the drivers for Windows XP yet. We are not sure that the US develop team will issue any drivers for WinXP."

So don't expect any developments in the near future.

Try this one: http://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/R158235.EXE

August 10th, 2007 22:00

Thanks for your post. The link to the driver you just provided is said to be for the Dell Vostro 1500 notebook.We're using a Dell XPS M1330.

I cannot test it out in any case because I am yet to receive my order.

Raymond, can you try this driver and let us know of the results?

Also, do you have any suggestions for these problems:

No XP version of Dell Quckset can be successfully installed on M1330

No XP version of Dell Security-Broadcom-Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 can be installed on M1330

Message Edited by thunderhead1 on 08-10-2007 06:29 PM

1.5K Posts

August 10th, 2007 22:00

thunderhead1 wrote:
Thanks for your post. The link to the driver you just provided is said to be for the Dell Vostro 1500 notebook.We're using a Dell M1330.

I know, I downloaded it and ran the setup, it says in the opening setup screen it's for the XPS M1330 along with about a dozen other portables. They won't put it up on the drivers and download site for the m1330 until that team has validated it.

August 11th, 2007 00:00

M1330 DOESN'T come with the PCMCIA slot verion!
Actually the ExpressCard is a new replacement standard to the PCMCIA stand.
Currently you are hardly finding a new laptop model with built in PCMCIA now.

One solutin is that you can buy a ExpressCard to PCMCIA adaptor:
DuelAdapter cost US $119
Then you can reuse your old PCMCIA cards and keep purchasing new ExpressCards.

Message Edited by Raymond Cheung on 08-10-2007 08:40 PM
No Events found!