Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2013 22:00

Installed win7 into the Recovery partition by accident.

I goofed up.  I have a Studio 1555 that I needed to reinstall Win 7 onto.  Dell Tech Support could not find any signs of Win 7 having a re-install package already on the machine so they sent me a new disc.  However I screwed up and installed the Win OS onto my HDD but into a parition called the 'Recovery" partition. I later reinstalled it onto the primary partition but now when I boot up, I stop at screen called the "Windows Boot Manager" which is listing two installs of win7, one on the recovery drive install and one on the much larger primary partition.  I use the second install which goes to the primary partition but the recovery partition is so small the Win7 OS is talking up most of the free space and constantly sending me messages that the drive is almost full.  How can I delete the version of Win 7 on the recovery partition and stop the constant messages from the control system that says my disk is almost full. It is also showing up with a letter to identify itself which never showed up better.  Also,what is the recovery partition supposed to be used for?  I don't think it ever worked or was used, as I backup to a network storage device.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

November 19th, 2013 02:00

Hi drgibson1952,

Recovery partition is a factory image, since you have installed operating system on the recovery partition now it would have been corrupted. Hence perform a clean manual installation referring to the link below.

http://dell.to/Wj9o0m

I hope you find this useful.

November 20th, 2013 16:00

I have already done the clean manual installation on the primary drive.  What do I do about the installation on the recovery partition?  How would I uninstall it?  Reformat the partition?  Windows on the primary is aware of the install on the recovery partition also and makes me pick an installation on startup and constantly tells me the partition is almost full. 

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

November 21st, 2013 04:00

Hi drgibson1952,

While performing a clean installation you need to delete the partition and then install the Windows in the unallocated space. Please refer to the link below.

http://dell.to/17PRPYV

I hope you find this useful.

No Events found!