Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2015 10:00

Installing OS and drivers without CDs

Hey,

I'm intending to replace my DVD reader with an SSD hard drive, format both of the hard drives and install a new OS on the SSD.

Since I won't have any DVD reader, I won't be able to install my OS and the basic dell drivers using the dedicated CD. What can I do?

Thank you!

(I have a Dell Inspiron 7520, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1)

780 Posts

July 7th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

1. You may try using an external USB DVD drive

2. Copy/Save the drivers to a USB drive which can come in handy.

Thank you

2 Posts

July 7th, 2015 12:00

First of all thank you for your answer.

Say that I want to use a USB drive (since I don't have an external USB DVD drive):

1. Where can I download the OS, and how do I launch it from the USB drive after I'll format my PC?

2. And same for the drivers- how can I know which drivers to download, and in which format to save them to the USB drive?

Thank you!

Nadav

780 Posts

July 7th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

1. We do not have an option to download the OS from the internet , however there are various websites which can help you with instructions. Like http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

Dell recommends to use OEM DVD's or Recovery media which we insist the customers to create after setting up the PC.

2. To launch the OS from USB, You can either try DISKPART or use any 3rd party tools as that too isn't supported by Dell.

3.For the drivers, Please use the link www.dell.com/support , this will get the updated and right drivers for the pc.

Thank you

No Events found!