Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2013 16:00

Installing Ubuntu 12.10 in Dell 7520 screwed Windows 8

The UEFI thing screwed my head a bit while trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 in Dell 7520, I made separate partition in Windows 8, installed Ubuntu via liveUSB it went well, but Ubuntu didn't load. So, I hit the Ubuntu install again, it asked me to erase previous Ubuntu, I said yes, now the Ubuntu 12.10 works perfectly.

I used boot-repair to repair the GRUB as suggested in some answers in askubuntu, and when I reboot, there was no option for windows 8. I booted to Ubuntu to check the Ubuntu have used whole 1 TB (total space). That means I deleted windows ? If so, any way to get the setup back? I don't have repair disk, nor DVD. Win8 came pre-installed.

I use Windows for windows mobile app development and Ubuntu for Normal use.

This is my new laptop, just purchased today, but this secure bios thing screwed all the fun of using multiple OS.

Anyways, how can I get back the Windows 8, please

4.4K Posts

February 19th, 2013 21:00

Hi rajibmp,

Ideally after setting up the system its recommended to create the back up/recovery disc.However since you have not done that you may contact your regional support to check for the Windows 8 disc.

Refer to this link below for regional contact information:

support.euro.dell.com/.../contact_us_emea

Let me know if you need further help.

Thank You

4.4K Posts

February 15th, 2013 22:00

Hi rajibmp,

Welcome to the Community,

To get back Windows 8 you will need to reinstall it using the Windows 8 DVD:

Use this link to request a copy of back up disc (US region only): support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

Thank You

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 16th, 2013 09:00

Hi Roshan,

Thanks for the hint, but I am in Europe. I purchased the laptop via ebay from UK and I am in Scandanavia...

Can I still get Windows 8 DVD ? It'd be very sad situation if I have to buy it, I just bought it with the Computer.... and this is very sad that Dell doesn't ship with the Windows 8 DVD for users to have it as backup, specially when users have already paid for the OS with the Laptop. It there was no any compulsion to buy then I'd have brought it with Linux config. Since Dell forced me to buy Win8 with the laptop, it'd be at least good to have Win8 DVD as backup.

well, that's my rant as I was frustrated... anyways, is there any way to get Win8 DVD in Europe....

No Events found!