Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2016 09:00

Installing Windows 10 on mSATA SSD (which was used by IRST)?

Hi,

I have a DELL 7520 SE laptop with a 1TB HDD and a 32GB mSATA SSD used by Intel Rapid Start Technology. Since I moved to Windows 10 I had difficoult times with the IRST due to the fact it is no longer supported by Intel and because of some problems caused by IRST I had to reinstall my computer several times.

I was thinking how to solve this problem, because I could just turn of the IRST and use the main HDD, but obviously I did not want to lose the option to use my SSD as well, so I am asking:

Is it possible to set to AHCI insted of IRST in BIOS, than installing the Windows 10 to the 32GB SSD (I know there is not a lot of space there but it should be just enough) and installing all the programs, files etc on the main 1TB HDD? If yes:

-How to do it exactly?

-What should I definitely considere, take care of?

-Is it possible that later of I would switch the SSD to a bigger, ex. 128GB mSATA ssd?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 9th, 2016 10:00

32G is far too small for a Windows installation - you need to install a larger drive (consider a practical bare minimum 128G -- more reasonable, 256G) drive for a Windows install.

2 Posts

March 9th, 2016 11:00

Yes, I realised it recently (despite the fact that now I am writing this all from a 32GB Asus Win10 tablet).

So I am planning to buy a 256Gb mSATA SSD and with that, is it possible, to install the OS on it without any disadvanteges?

No Events found!