Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2013 07:00

Installing a SSD and reinstalling Win 7

My Latitude E6500 laptop came with Win XP/32 preinstalled and with reinstallation DVDs for both XP/32 and Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

Now I have bought a 480 GB SSD and want to install Win 7, which should be better handling SSDs.

Can I just install the new SSD and install the Win 7 OS from reinstallation DVD? Or is there another more complicated procedure I have to follow.

Do I need a MS 5x5 digit productionkey? The envelopes for the DVDs (from Dell) have a barcode

xx-xxxxxx-xxxxx-xxx-xxxx, which does not look like the MS code.

If I have problems with the Win 7 installation (old hardware, programs etc.) can I just clone the old HD to the SSD with the included software (from the Kingston Upgrade Kit) and overwrite the Win 7 installation, or do I have to erase the SSD in some way first.

Thank you.

Peter R.

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

August 13th, 2013 09:00

Hi Peter,

After installing the hard drive, you can proceed with Windows 7 installation on it. For instructions on how to install Windows 7 manually, please refer to the link http://dell.to/13nXHsM. Once the Windows installation is complete you may refer to the link http://dell.to/12MoijL for following the correct sequence of drivers installation.

If the Windows 7 re-installation DVD is shipped by Dell then you will not need the product key to activate it. They are pre-activated. If you are facing any difficulties in running any legacy software which was working on Windows XP and you want to revert back to Windows XP, I suggest that you wipe clean the hard drive and then install it. You may use the Kingston Upgrade Kit for cloning the hard drive, but Dell has not tested it nor endorse it.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 13th, 2013 08:00

Moving this thread to the Laptop Forum.

Bev.

5 Posts

August 16th, 2013 03:00

Thanks a lot

Now Windows 7 is up and running on the SSD (very fast). The only problem was, that I had to make changes in bios, Google gave the directions. As the Windows 7 reinstall DVD is from 2009, there were more than 100 updates.

Now I am updating drives for for scanners and external drives (some of it very old) untill now with luck.

Thanks again, Peter

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

August 16th, 2013 12:00

Hi Peter,

Glad to know that you found the information helpful and the issue is resolved. Feel free to reach out to us if you need any further assistance. I'll be happy to assist.

No Events found!