Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

July 3rd, 2012 19:00

Installing a new Hard Drive into Studio 1555

My computer crashed. I had files recovered and placed on an external hard drive. It was recommended that I install a new internal hard drive and use my recovery disk to get the computer to work properly again. I have followed the instructions on installing the hard drive and reinstalling operating system. While installing Windows Vista I get a message that installation has been cancelled. It sounds like the DVD is still running. What should I do?

2 Posts

I have windows vista and have followed the instructions. While expanding files about 30 min into installilation I get an error. I have a Studio 1555 model number PP39L

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

eateachs,

Without knowing the make and model of the computer and operating system, this is general.

Try reading...

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Make sure to install the drivers in the correct order.

How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

A Dell OEM disk should install with no problems. If you made the Windows 7 - IMPORTANT Windows 7 Backup Disks to create then you can Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 4th, 2012 00:00

eateachs,

If you can, try running the full diagnostics and report back any error messages.How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

Rick

1 Message

April 1st, 2016 23:00

I am not sure if I am doing this properly.. this is my first post/response.

I was trying to figure out what I could be doing wrong when trying to restore my Dell Studio 1555 after having my hard drive crash and I cam across this thread and it seems to be the closest to the issues I am having with mine as well.

History:

I replaced the hard drive with almost exactly what was in it from MFG, with the exception of getting a larger one.  Now my issue is, when I restart it says there is no operating system, so I am trying to load the original operating system files from the discs that came with the computer from dell.  But it seems to be stuck at the page that says "Windows is loading files" ((black screen with a white progress bar at the bottom)  progress bar appears to but full, but the computer sounds as if its very slowly working.. but no progress or changes have occurred in at least an hour...  I followed most of the previous steps you had suggested to the previous person and I still seem to be stuck...  should I just wait??  How long should I let it just sit and try to work??  Or could I possibly be facing bigger issues than just the failed hard drive that I replaced??

Thank you for your help

No Events found!