Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2014 11:00

Integrated Graphics card is the only GPU that works

Hey, I just got my Inspiron 15 the other day and I have been mucking around for a couple of hours trying to figure out why this isn't working

The AMD Radeon HD 8850M video card isn't responding in any games, and doesn't appear in my BIOS info yet shows up in my Device Manager. When I disable the integrated card all it does is make neither work. I've installed all the latest drivers and I am still having no luck, I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the GPUs but nothing has happened.

I've also maxed out the settings in power and and changed a bunch of power settings and 3D settings in the AMD Catalyst Control Centre that other forums and site recommended yet it still uses the integrated GPU.

Don't know if it will help at all but here is what I pulled out of the DirectX Dialogue Tool

http://tny.cz/ccac4284

Any help would be appreciated :) Peace

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 16th, 2014 12:00

The AMD GPU is simply a co-processor - it will never show as primary to Windows.

Only the Intel GPU has a connection to the display panel - the AMD GPU data funnels through it to the display.

This is by design and the way the system operates.

If the AMD GPU shows up in the Catalyst control panel, and you can select it on a per-application basis, it's working normally.

January 16th, 2014 19:00

So is the AMD GPU always running and aiding the Integrated card?

January 17th, 2014 02:00

I installed the AMD drivers first from the AMD site and as for OS it's 64-bit

11 Posts

January 17th, 2014 02:00

Did you install the Intel HD graphics drivers before you installed the AMD driver?  What AMD drivers did you use? From DELL site or AMD site ,and what OS are you running?

11 Posts

January 17th, 2014 03:00

You need to uninstall all AMD drivers from AMD Catalyst Install Manager ,in the Control Panel ,and choose Express Uninstall all AMD Software .

Then you need to install the Intell HD graphics driver from DELL site ,put your service tag in,choose OS and from there you can download it,install it and restart system ,then download the AMD drivers from AMD site by choosing the correct OS and HD Radeon Series,or you can also download them from where you downloaded the Intel HD graphics from DELL . Do you use Windows 7/8/8.1 ?

January 17th, 2014 05:00

Just tried this and it didn't work. :\

I'm using Windows 8.1

11 Posts

By the way ,did you configure the Switchable Graphics for the games you want to play?

11 Posts

What BIOS version do you have ? A5 or A6? If you have A5 try updating it to A6 if your Inspiron 15 xxxx is on the suported list .I dont know what seems to go wrong ,what error message does it give now ,and for witch driver?

January 17th, 2014 06:00

It's the latest BIOS version

There isn't any error message, the AMD GPU just can't be used for whatever reason, it doesn't even show up as an option. Only Intel 4400 does. But I know it's there because the drivers successfully installed and it shows up in Device Manager.

Yes, I've done that

January 17th, 2014 07:00

Oh well man, thanks for the help :)

I'll try to delete everything and reinstall again later, I'll be sure to inform you if it works

11 Posts

January 17th, 2014 07:00

Damn, I really dont know what else you could do, I also have a Dell Inspiron 17 3737 with i7 4500U ,AMD 8870m ,pretty similar to yours i guess ,I had some issues too but deleting everything ,getting latest intel hd drivers and then beta or latest AMD drivers fixed the problem.

January 17th, 2014 20:00

Ok, I unistalled and reinstalled the drivers and now in Device Manager is says that I have the Amd Radeon HD 8850 opposed to it before when it just said Amd Radeon HD 8000 series so I know something has happened, yet when I disable the intgrated it just goes to Windows basic and I can't seem to change it in the catalyst either.I'm really confused as to what's going on

11 Posts

January 18th, 2014 11:00

I dont seem to understand why isnt it working ,especially if it sees it as HD 8850M not  8000 SERIES and there is no (!) exclamation mark in Device Manager.In wich games doesnt it work?How bad is the settings/fps ?

January 20th, 2014 02:00

Sorry for the late reply, it runs Skyrim on Medium at 50-60fps with random drops, Counter Strike: GO works 60fpson Medium, Sanctum 2 lowest graphics 30fps.. It just doesn't work as well as it should, and with Skyrim you can choose which card you want to use before it launches the game yet the intel card is the only option

EDIT

I take it back, it can't run any of that now. I restored my computer since it black screened trying to reinstall the drivers but when it loaded back up it started to run really slowly, now it can barely run Skyrim at all on lowest settings, even on max power settings with the drivers reinstalled.. I'm getting quite frustrated at this laptop

11 Posts

January 20th, 2014 07:00

I know its frustrating ,[profanity removed per TOU],I installed windows 3 times untill i got things working properly ,I saw alot of people having trouble with Windows 8.1 drivers ,I dont know why ,DELL should really fix this issue already .If you can get a hold of a Windows 8 copy try doing a clean install and then install all the drivers from Dell site  ,starting with intel chipset ,management drivers,to the intel hd graphics and then the amd drivers .But after you installed intel graphic drivers you could also install AMD drivers from their site ,wich should increas performance since it`s a newer version ,but you need to get the right one for your system .

No Events found!