Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2011 06:00

Intel 6250 Software Radio Is Off

Something very screwy with my machine.  I have a Latitude E6410, Windows 7 and an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN wireless adapter.  The Windows 7 wireless bar shows up in the bottom right with an "X" over it. The blue LED wireless light just above the keyboard is on.  So I go to All Programs > Intel PROSet Wireless.  On my XP machine I had a utility there.  Now my only choices are WiFi Advanced Statistics, WiFi Event Viewer and WiFi Manual Diagnostics.  When I run the Diagnostics, it goes:

Hardware Test: Passed
Driver Test: Passed
Radio Test: Failed (Software radio is OFF)

I checked device manager, and my adapter is enabled. If I right click the wireless icon with the X, I can go to Troubleshoot Problems.  It searches for a moment, then brings up a windows that says "Turn on wireless capability".  So I select "Apply this fix".  Then it brings up a window saying "Troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix of the issues found and these are the detailed msgs:

Issues Found
Wireless capability is turned off: Detected
Turn on wireless capability: Failed

Tried reinstalling the drivers, but no luck.  Any ideas what I should do??

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

February 12th, 2011 07:00

anything in the BIOS?

3.8K Posts

February 14th, 2011 10:00

HI Igendreau,

Welcome to the Community. Please check if the Wi-Fi Catcher is enabled in the Bios. Press F2 at the Dell Logo it should take you to the Bios, move down to wireless, and check if the Wi-Fi Catcher is enabled. If disabled, enable it and make sure to save changes and exit.

Let me know if that helped.

Thank you

Royan

21 Posts

December 20th, 2011 11:00

Having same issue.  but..

the E6410 doesn't HAVE 'wifi-catcher' anymore.  Only the D series notebooks had this feature.

1 Message

March 28th, 2012 08:00

On windows 7 Go to control panel / hardware and sound / Windows Mobility Center you will be able to turn the antenna on from there.

1 Message

May 28th, 2013 23:00

thanks NAV SPORT, your comment realy helped me and now i am ALL GOOD.

5 Posts

May 14th, 2015 07:00

Thank you NAVSPORT, I never knew that setting was there.  Saved me a ton of troubleshooting time.  

No Events found!