Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

March 10th, 2008 14:00

Intel 945GM Video Driver Upgrade

I have an E1505 with the Intel 945GM chipset ungraded to the latest version on the Dell site. However, I have software which requires Shader 2 technology. Intel site upgrade isn't compatible with the Dell, so I'm at a loss. My laptop keeps getting the BSOD on igxpdx32.dll which is a file for DirectDraw, but there is nothing on this file either. Also performed a Directx update to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks!

73 Posts

March 16th, 2008 05:00

YOU have to uninstall the old video driver first, then install the latest driver from intel here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2301

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2008 02:00

Thanks, but once again I get this:

The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer. Setup will exit.

I am hesitant to uninstall the current driver because of this. And I have the most current Dell driver installed. Sooo...

Can I somehow convince Dell to address this issue?

73 Posts

March 22nd, 2008 02:00

Trust me...uninstall the current driver from the Add/remove programs list and restart. Download the intel driver first and save the exe file  on your Desktop....after reboot just open the intel driver and it will install.

If it still doesn't work (worked for me) just download the dell driver and reinstall it.

4 Posts

March 24th, 2008 17:00

Thanks, LaCienega, it did take the new driver. However, I still get the BSOD on the same file. The software I am trying to run requires Shader model v2 technology as a minimum. Does the 945GM offer that? I'm guessing no due to the crash. If so, is there a way to upgrade a laptop video card? I am also guessing nothing short of a mainboard change (hope I'm wrong). Thanks again!

73 Posts

March 24th, 2008 20:00

Sorry, but the answer is twice No.

This card does not support vertex shader 2, only pixel shader 2...and you cannot upgrade the card unless you change the motherboard, but that's not worth it in my opinion.

4 Posts

March 24th, 2008 22:00

Mine either. Thanks again for the help. We are in the market for a newer desktop, so will keep this in mind...

219 Posts

April 12th, 2008 01:00

macubi, try downloading the R179525.EXE file here.

This has Intel 945GM video drivers v7.14.10.1409. I've used them and they worked on the E1405 laptop. They should also be compatible with your E1505 machine.  Un-install those generic intel 945 drivers, reboot and then use the R179525.exe file to extract the Dell-specific Intel 945 drivers, run its setup program and restart your machine to see if they work correctly.

The generic Intel 945 drivers from the Intel site don't work. They never worked nor installed on the E1405 notebook computer that I'm using. So the "customized" Intel 945 drivers from Dell are needed and not the generic ones from Intel.

Message Edited by erpster05 on 04-11-2008 07:17 PM

22 Posts

July 6th, 2008 20:00

erpster05 make note that the R179525.EXE driver update is for Vista users not XP. During installation the driver requires the dwmapi.dll which is a Vista dll file and not required for XP/2k users. But your solution works for Vista (at lest for me anyways).

1 Message

October 3rd, 2010 22:00

I have virtually the same issue...

Inspiron 9400 notebook. I can't run Pixelbender Add-in in PhotoShop CS5. I was told by Adobe support that I needed to have the following supported on my graphics chipset, on my Dell notebook:

• a graphics card that meets the Photoshop hardware requirements (OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 3 support)

I have downloaded the latest Dell drivers for the 9400, but they fall short of the requirements for PS CS5. I am only playing at OpenGL 1.4.

I tried installing Intel's drivers for Vista, and got the same message about the hardware not being correct. I will use the information found here, and remove the Dell video drivers completely and reboot, then attempt to install the Intel ones. Do you know if the ones for this machine, from Intel, support PS CS5's requirements, noted above?

I am downloading this file from Intel's site: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=16312&lang=eng

Thanks!

Gil

No Events found!