Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

June 30th, 2016 00:00

Intel HD Graphics 530/P530 Driver Update Released

Dell has released an update to the Intel 530/P530 driver. This is the first update since last October. Hopefully this will fix the all too often driver crashing with "Video driver has stopped responding...." messages.

JohnD (XPS 15 9550)

380 Posts

July 4th, 2016 02:00

After installing the new driver, I get the following error each time I boot the system:

======================================================

Faulting application name: IntelCpHDCPSvc.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x572a4b65
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.10586.306, time stamp: 0x571af2eb
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000002fe34
Faulting process id: 0xadc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1d5adb2768847
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\IntelCpHDCPSvc.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: fb958e23-7617-428c-804e-ed3556b0189d
Faulting package full name:

======================================================

Other than that, everything seems to be working, but the "Video driver has stopped responding..." messages were sporadic so it remains to be seen if everything has been fixed.

JohnD

2 Posts

July 10th, 2016 10:00

Hi JohnD,

Thanks for posting this. I have the same situation, plus the follow-up error shown below. I have rolled back the Intel HD Graphics 530/P530 driver by going back to an earlier restore point, and the two errors didn't show up anymore. After installing the driver 20.19.15.4454 from Dell again, the two errors are back.

It may not be related to this, but it should be mentioned that correction had to be made with sfc and dism at the end. The two errors continue to show up after every boot.

KlausJM

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 7/10/2016 10:50:36 AM
Event ID: 7034
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: xxx
Description:
The Intel(R) Content Protection HDCP Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

380 Posts

July 11th, 2016 01:00

I also get the second error. Regarding SFC and DISM errors, I have gotten those for a while. It is related to an issue with these utilities (they think that opencl.dll is corrupt but is isn't). SFC and DISM are unable to repair the problem which Microsoft is aware of but has yet to fix. You might want to check the CBS.log file to see the actual error that is generated ("Cannot repair member file [1:10] opencl.dll").

The previous version of the Intel driver was giving me the "Display driver has stopped responding but has recovered" errors from time to time as well as other issues.

I have received a BSOD (CRITICAL PROCESS DIED) about a week after upgrading the driver. My background image disappeared (background turned black) but the icons still showed. Shortly thereafter the system BSOD'ed. Unfortunately the dump never got beyond 0% so I have no idea what might be the cause of the crash. I had also upgraded my Realtek HD Audio driver within that week so I cannot be sure which one might have caused the crash, but my money is on the Intel driver. I have not rolled back yet, but if it occurs again and I cannot get a dump, I will roll back. This is really a great computer but it is being plagued with BIOS and driver issues.

JohnD

EDIT: Well there is no "Roll Back" option in Device Manager for the driver so you have to download and install a previous version in order to roll back. NOT NICE Intel.

2 Posts

July 17th, 2016 09:00

Hi JohnD,

I found a solution for my notebook by switching the service
"Intel(R) Content Protection HDCP Service" from automatic to
manual. Both errors don't show up anymore after booting.
Hopefully, that helps you as well.

I thought that a service that is crashing right after booting,
and then be never missed or called up again, doesn't need to
be set to start automatically.

KlausJM

380 Posts

July 18th, 2016 00:00

Thanks Klaus,

I followed your lead and did the same. I was getting tired of seeing that thing crash each time I booted. I should have searched for what it really does. It has to do with preventing unauthorized copyrighted digital material (such as movies) from playing on your system. Since I don't do that anyway, it is of no use to me.

JohnD

March 1st, 2017 12:00

Posted on Intel Communities:

I appears the discussion on this issue has been closed out but I wanted to pass on my experience regarding this issue.

Hardware: Win 10 Pro on an XPS8900 Dell Computer using the Intel HD Graphics 530 Card.

Driver: 21.20.16.4565

Problem: Kept getting "IntelCpHDCPSvc Executable Stopped Working" logged as a Critical Event in the Windows Reliability Monitor.  Logged times tended to correspond to startup and Windows Updates.

Solution as posted by Intel and suggested by Dell Tech Spt was to roll back driver to 15.40.25.44.63.  I kept questioning this solution because Dell for months has continued to show driver 21.20.16.4565 as the recommended (and presumably certified) driver.

Additional information: I started to notice “XPS 8900 ERROR - (A7) Me FW Downgrade - Request MeSpiLock Failed” messages being very briefly displayed during boot up (power on).  See Dell Community solution: XPS 8900 ERROR - (A7) Me FW Downgrade - Request MeSpiLock Failed - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community  

Findings: After Dell assisted me with a sequence to clear up potential BIOS Boot Mode issues, it appears this also solved the Intel Graphics driver problems when using 21.20.15.4565.  It's been 16 days since making adjustments to the BIOS Boot Mode and there have been no "IntelCpHDCPSvc Executable Stopped Working" events logged and no need to roll back the driver to the earlier version mentioned in the Intel discussion board.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!