Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2011 22:00

Intel HD to NVIDIA Optimus

From looking through the threads on this forum, I have noticed that this issue has not gotten a response.

I spoke to a Dell representative, and he told me that forcing the laptop to use the better graphics card that I paid for as the default is currently impossible. He also mentioned that Dell has gotten many calls with regards to this issue. I understand that you can add certain programs to use the NVIDIA card but I would prefer that the laptop used the better graphics card 24/7 and for all applications even if the battery power suffers a little.

I suppose that I should have done more research into the optimus technology before purchasing the laptop, but I don't think that it was unreasonable for me to assume that changing the default graphics card was an option.

Is updating this in the works? Or am I stuck using the sub-par Intel HD graphics card until this computer dies?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 7th, 2011 05:00

Disabling Optimus should allow the nVidia chip to work all the time.  I suspect nVidia doesn't want this though - as it will also reduce the lifespan of the chip and the system, which isn't designed to run all the time.

August 12th, 2011 00:00

The Problems with Optimus you can find here:

en.community.dell.com/.../19385401.aspx

So it will be good to use the Nvidia Card all the Time the Notebook is external powered. With Optimus enabled you have the problem, after Standby, that the connected Screens via DVI/Displayport don't show a image again. After you wake up the Nootbook you have to switch off, wait 10 sec and switch on again the screens and only after this process you have a picture again.

If the nvidia chips will not be there for running hole the time, dell have to fix our problems with optimus!!

No Events found!