Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

May 7th, 2015 10:00

Intermittent no audio on XPS 13 9343 (2015)

I am experiencing a problem where about 50% of the time I boot up my XPS 13 9343, I have a red X over the speaker icon and no audio.  If I mouse over the icon it says "No audio output device is installed."

Looking at the Realtek HW Audio Codec in Device Manager, it says:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful."

After seeing this, I uninstalled and deleted the driver through the Device Manager.  I re-installed the driver from the Dell site (9343_Audio_Driver_X22K2_WN32_7422.118.0_A01.EXE).  I am still experiencing the issue.

Is anybody else seeing the same thing?

1 Rookie

• 

51 Posts

December 9th, 2016 05:00

The only solution I found was to get a replacement XPS 13 9350, not another 9343.  I am pretty sure this was a hardware/manufacturing flaw and not something that could be fixed with driver tweaks.

December 12th, 2016 02:00

I am pretty sure this was a hardware/manufacturing flaw and not something that could be fixed with driver tweaks.

It really looks like that. I bought a Dell because of its great Linux support (compared to others), but dual booting has been a year-and-a-half long nightmare and there seems to be both no solution and no interest from Dell in finding one.

The only solution I found was to get a replacement XPS 13 9350, not another 9343.

Did you just buy the newer model and sell the old one, or got it replaced by Dell?

1 Rookie

• 

51 Posts

December 12th, 2016 05:00

Dell replaced it with a 9350, but this was due to this issue happening across a couple of 9343's for me, plus an issue with the trackpad.  It's worth asking, because it's obviously an issue that can't be fixed at the driver level, as it happens in both Windows and Linux.  A firmware fix might help, but at this point, I think it's absurd to think that Dell would fix a problem on a laptop that is almost 2 years old.  They'd rather you just buy their new one that doesn't have that problem.

No Events found!