Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

August 17th, 2016 18:00

Internet not working on laptop

My 6400 laptop will not go to any internet sites. My settings including DHCP are normal, and there are no error message, but every single website I go to times out. 

The Network Diagnostics tool says my computer is configured correctly, but the device or resource is not responding. When running the tool on Wi-Fi, it also says there’s a problem with the wireless adapter or access point, but I’m confident there is no problem. I tried ipconfig/release /renew /flushdns, and none of that worked. When pinging any address, I get 4 general failures. I tried using my own wired and wireless networks as well as a Starbucks Wi-Fi and my laptop still refuses to connect to any sites. Lastly, I installed new drivers and not only did that not work, the Network Diagnostics tool says it can’t identify the problem.

Any ideas?

August 17th, 2016 18:00

Hi Tsp90

Thanks for writing to us. 

When did the issue start? Have you tried on a different network? 

Wifi and LAN cannot go faulty at the same time, looks to be software issue though . 

Any other machine that's working on the same network??

If the issue started lately, please try doing a system restore and observe. 

Do provide us your system tag#, email address and name via private message,by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message

Regards

16 Posts

August 18th, 2016 08:00

It started last week, when I noticed it was scanning for updates for a long time. I did get the updates Windows released last week a couple of days ago. I am still getting definition updates from my anti-virus software. I took it to a Starbucks and it still wouldn't go on the internet, though I still could connect to their WiFi. Everything works on my network except this particular laptop. I ran a speedtest on a different computer and the results are normal, so there's nothing wrong with my network.  I attempted a system restore and it wouldn't do that, saying the system path was not found.

August 18th, 2016 19:00

What windows is the machine running on?
Sounds more of a software related though. The best way out is to reinstall the windows afresh . Also you can try the msfixit tool from Microsoft before proceeding with windows reinstallation

August 19th, 2016 20:00

Hi We are awaiting your response.

No Events found!